Good guys with guns and robot dogs: The police?

https://twitter.com/RobertMackey/status/1783684235938894086?t=uEh1bZmDlT59gWZ_KFC5aQ&s=19

They said She was charged with battery against a police officer :joy:

7 cops shot with 4 dead today in charlotte, still not much news on what happened. lots of video on twitter

Seems like a straightforward story

https://twitter.com/RobertFreundLaw/status/1786079615544590678?t=xt_v6pWca0JQ0PIf_hiJtA&s=19

11 Likes

Saw this gem today

4 Likes

12 Likes
1 Like

He was just trying to protect his coworker. Dudes a HERO.

I think we are going to need a thread name change: “Good guys with guns, robot dogs, and Rolls Royces: The police?”

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article288446723.html

The incident took place in 2019, when Rojas and another officer responded to Baggett’s residence. Paramedics had covered her body with a sheet. While his partner was out of the room, Rojas lifted the sheet, exposing the dead woman’s upper torso, then squeezed her right breast twice, according to the LAPD.

Rojas, whose actions were recorded by his own body camera, was later charged with felony sexual contact with human remains. He pleaded not guilty. Appearing at his preliminary hearing in 2021, he said he knew he was being recorded by the body camera and touched the woman only for investigative purposes, not sexual arousal.

Rojas, during his testimony, said he touched her breast twice after noticing a mark he could not identify. He said he squeezed the area to determine whether the mark was a wound — an account that a judge in the case called “extremely unpersuasive.

Last year, another judge placed Rojas in an 18-month mental health diversion program, according to court records. Rojas has been relieved of duty but remains on the force in an unpaid capacity while he awaits a disciplinary hearing, said LAPD spokesperson Kelly Muniz.

Troxel said Rau also told officers that he occasionally would discard drugs seized from juveniles or others on the street without entering them into evidence.

Dude is a hero.

Are we assuming that he didn’t actually arrest them?

No idea, but the evidence being gone can’t be good for the prosecution.

Assuming you believe he actually discarded the drugs…

He seems to have a Trumpian sense that the person in charge should get to ignore procedure and that there should be less oversight.

Maybe theoretically, but I doubt there was a tangible benefit in that regard.

Doubt any of these cases were going to trial. They were probably getting plea deals. And it sounds like the missing evidence never came up or this guy’s actions would have come to light much sooner.

Some of it supposedly is from cases he didn’t expect to get prosecuted. Ok, now they really won’t. Good.

this may have been posted here or elsewhere previously, but America will never be able to reconcile the 2nd amendment “everyone has a constitutional right to carry” AND that the police can shoot you if you are remotely near a firearm, particularly if you are a minority.

the officer here shouted “step back” shot several times and then told the person to “drop the gun” after he was most likely dead. while the gun was never raised and the victim was in his own apartment.

2 Likes

I’ve always contended that the only hope for real gun control is to have the NRA and cops fight. NRA should be all over this as he was killed for merely answering his door while armed (which is 100% legal).

This is the one time I do feel some empathy for cops. Yes, this guy probably wasn’t a risk, but there are lots of idiots with guns and I’d be afraid to show up and to see an armed suspect and have to hope he’s not dangerous. If cops do get punished for this (and I think they should, it’s part of the risk of being a cop), we might finally get some push back on gun laws from people that R’s can’t just dismiss as gun grabbers.

I think this gets at Slighted’s point, which is that what the guy did was legal, but a jury is likely to see the cop’s actions as justified (although I’m willing to persuaded otherwise). The legal framework surrounding guns creates all these impossible situations where everyone is justified in carrying a gun, feeling threatened by someone else’s gun, and using deadly force to respond.

Right - I think what he did was legal, but cop is unlikely to be convicted - city might have to pay out a lawsuit (and maybe if that happens enough city starts to care) and maybe cop gets fired/suspended.

That should in theory create a conflict between NRA and cops. We just need lots more gun owners to get killed by cops for merely open carrying before it actually starts to change the narrative. Also, victims are probably going to need to be white.

2 Likes