Good guys with guns and robot dogs: The police?

How’s that saying go? Something about features and bugs?

1 Like

Yeah perhaps I misused inherently. My recall is inline with what was said here though, that the training databases have made it very racist.

1 Like

My uneducated understanding is that it’s only racism in that familiar, impersonal way in which fewer resources are expended to protect the interests of POC.

Polite racism is the best kind of racism.

That’s sort of the definition of inherently racist unless your definition of inherently racist is limited to pointing at people and yelling epithets

I can kind of see his point. An AI that is programmed to be racist could be regarded as “inherently” racist, or you could argue that an AI that is programmed to be racist but could have been programmed to be not racist is not therefore inherently racist.

These are the kinds of deep philosophical arguments that will consume us as an army of racist AI droids takes over the Earth. We won’t be allowed to fight back because the “woke” liberals will insist that we have to respect the racist AI droid culture.

whether “an AI” is “inherently” racist in this case will depend on whether you think “an AI” is “the algorithms and the training data together” or just the algorithms.

like, facial recognition as a concept is not doomed to forever be misidentifying black people. It seems unhinged to believe that.

this particular product is definitely fucked beyond repair, though

Yeah, I think the more realistic “doomed” scenario is that once the racist AI is in place and is being used to, say, convict more black people of crimes, the vast gullible public will buy into the narrative that there cannot be any structural racism involved because how can a machine be racist? That’s just common sense, ldo.

oh we’re already at that point

Yes, but it can always gets worse!

1 Like

It’s that and lazy police doing what they said they wouldn’t do. For my hazy recollection when these kind of automated programs go into place the police usually claim that they’ll never completely depend on the technology because of the well known known biases and weaknesses, but it’ll be a starting point from which they’ll do investigation which will eventually lead to arrest. In reality, if the technology gives them a match or whatever, they’ll just snap arrest the person and the errors will get sorted out later

I think they have to plant some sort of seeds for when the want to disregard it.

For example, normally when cops have video of a suspect committing a crime. It’s a “slam dunk”, incontrovertible evidence. However, when we have a video of some cop or cop-friendly person doing some crime it’s all like “Well, you see, the video just doesn’t tell the whole story…”

1 Like

It doesn’t belong here, but funny enough just reading about how VR is sexist

Particularly concerning is the issue of interpupillary distance. Because consumer headsets were largely modeled on gamers, who historically tended to be male, the lens spacing on many models is not well designed for the anthropometrics of women’s faces. Instead of converging on distant objects, the pupils diverge in a way that can cause physiological strain and nausea, Stanney says, citing as evidence an article commissioned by the American aerospace and defense company Lockheed Martin Corporation called “Virtual Reality Is Sexist: But It Does Not Have to Be.”

The effort to sow confusion and baffle voters fit into five boxes delivered in late December to the Office of the City Clerk.

Inside the boxes: Thousands of petition signatures for something called the “Austin Police Oversight Act,” a measure vowing to “strengthen the City’s system of independent and transparent civilian police oversight.”

But this isn’t the Austin Police Oversight Act.

Or at least the original one.

The clerk’s office is still sifting through the petition signatures submitted by the Voters for Oversight and Police Accountability, a group with ties to the Austin police union. If enough signatures are validated, Austin voters will face a perplexing choice in the May 6 city election:

Two different ballot propositions, both of them claiming to be the Austin Police Oversight Act — even as one is a gutted version of the other.

Austin citizens get a ballot proposition so the police association gathers petitions for a proposition with the same name that does nothing

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1617095593205047297?t=6yVJW4R--KTZ3JF_qYMZuA&s=19

1 Like

Victim looks white. Police might have a bit of a sweat on this one.

1 Like

*serial killer has used deadly force on 4 separate occasions, that we know of.

4 Likes