GOAT TV Theme Songs: Bracket Set (Post 1228), Finals: Jeffersons vs. Mssion: Impossible

GI Joe '87 opener is indeed a masterpiece, every little detail is amazing. Unfortunately I think they spend 99% of their creative energy on the open and then they all went to lunch and let some interns make the rest of the film, which stinks.

1 Like

I think this is a pro/con on a lot of the openings. It’s hard to separate your feelings for the theme from your feelings for the show.

GOT’s opening was also pretty influential. Even now, the Shogun opening is kind of a GOT rip off.

1 Like

I watch that GI Joe movie opening like once a year. It absolutely slaps. Watched the movie on YouTube recently and it’s still good

That guy echoing “cobra” in the background is either Ozzy Osborne or the worst hype man of all time

Cobra-La was just weird for the GI Joe universe and I think they had to push a bunch of new characters (Falcon, Tunnel Rat, Slaughter’s group) almost all of whom sucked. Given those constraints, it was prob tough to do much better than they did. Agreed though, that’s one hellacious drop off from opening to film.

Also, I think there was something about Optimus Prime dying in the Transformers movie a year earlier and getting a ton of backlash. GI Joe had planned a big plot point like that (with Duke if memory serves), then had to do a re-write.

Round 1, Block 6 justifications:

• Game of Thrones vs. Saved by the Bell-Saved by the Bell was created by alums from my college and played a major feeder into the industry and that’s all I can say about Saved by the Bell. The theme is fine but it’s nothing special, and it’s really hard to ever go against Ramin Djawadi. I don’t watch Game of Thrones and had never heard the theme song before. It was surprisingly weak to me, but still good. This was an easy choice between the two songs for me.

• NBA on NBC vs. True Detective Season 1-I thought the True Detective song was original to the show so that took it down a lot of notches for me when I found out it wasn’t. I’d totally forgotten the theme of NBA on NBC. It’s quite good and I’m putting it over the top due to True Detective Season 1 not being an original song, even though it’s very appropriate to the main title and show.

• Dr. Who vs. White Lotus-I don’t know anything about the Dr. Who theme, but it was irritating and I had to turn it off after about a minute. The White Lotus theme is different and I liked it. This was an easy win for White Lotus for me.

• The Jetsons vs. Arthur-This was the first tough one for me. The Jetsons theme is iconic and goofy and futuristic and does everything a song is supposed to do in the era it was created. But there’s just something about that Arthur theme. The message is great, it’s well done, and I like Ziggy Marley. In a nail biter, I picked Arthur for the good it puts into the world with its message.

• Peacemaker vs. Step by Step-I don’t even know what that Peacemaker thing is trying to do but it needed to stop it. The Step by Step theme was probably done by the same person who did the Full House theme. It had surprising vigor for an ABC show. But largely because of how bad the Peacemaker theme was, Step by Step glides through this match up for me.

• Sanford and Son vs. TaleSpin-I did not need to listen to the Sanford and Son theme as it’s that iconic and memorable. It got my vote period as one of the best theme songs of all time. TaleSpin never had a chance before or after I listened to it.

• Darkwing Duck vs. Rawhide-I thought the Rawhide theme was different but that’s a really good theme song for a Western. Unlike the repetitive, Bonanza, this one had some interesting stuff going on. As for Darkwing Duck, that song is gonna be a hard no.

• The Greatest American Hero vs. NFL Primetime-I hate The Greatest American Hero song no matter how satire driven it might be. I refuse to hit play on it I hate it so much. If it came up in future rounds I would vote for any other song before it, even any that aren’t any good. That NFL Primetime theme is literally just a music library cut from the NFL Films music library, but it’s up against The Greatest American Hero theme, so it crushes that song for me.

1 Like

I know Arthur theme song from an Israeli cover of the Hebrew version. Its a legit good reggae song that for some reason is the theme of a cartoon

Wtf are you guys talking about. The new shit was awesome. GI Joe movie is great

Round 1, Block 7 (almost there!):

#3 The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

VS.

#126 The Young and the Restless

#3 The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air vs. #126 The Young and the Restless
  • #3 The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • #126 The Young and the Restless
0 voters

#62 Mission: Impossible

VS.

#67 The Rockford Files

#62 Mission: Impossible vs. #67 The Rockford Files
  • #62 Mission: Impossible
  • #67 The Rockford Files
0 voters

#30 Olympic Fanfare and Theme

VS.

#99 Night Court

#30 Olympic Fanfare and Theme vs. #99 Night Court
  • #30 Olympic Fanfare and Theme
  • #99 Night Court
0 voters

#35 Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers

VS.

#94 The Office

#35 Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers vs. #94 The Office
  • #35 Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers
  • #94 The Office
0 voters

#14 X-Men

VS.

#115 I Dream of Jeannie

#14 X-Men vs. #115 I Dream of Jeannie
  • #14 X-Men
  • #115 I Dream of Jeannie
0 voters

#51 The Big Bang Theory

VS.

#78 The Wonder Years

#51 The Big Bang Theory vs. #78 The Wonder Years
  • #51 The Big Bang Theory
  • #78 The Wonder Years
0 voters

#19 Happy Days

VS.

#110 Chainsaw Man

#19 Happy Days vs. #110 Chainsaw Man
  • #19 Happy Days
  • #110 Chainsaw Man
0 voters

#46 Hill Street Blues

VS.

#83 The Odd Couple

#46 Hill Street Blues vs. #83 The Odd Couple
  • #46 Hill Street Blues
  • #83 The Odd Couple
0 voters

And that’s the penultimate block of round 1.

Any chance you can go listen to the linked version? I felt the same way and then I clicked the link and I was like, this is worse than I remember. Something is off. Maybe you know what it is. I still voted for it though.

The Office kinda got shafted here. The version that was in the spreadsheet and that I initially posted wasn’t the original theme and had only 1.7 million views. The actual TV theme, linked there now, has 4.6 million views. It remains at the 94 seed, but it could have been a top 50 seed if its advocate looked just a little harder.

Joe is great and the Wonder Years is going to obliterate its opponent, but that chit should be disqualified for the most transparent theme song angle of all time

1 Like