GOAT TV Theme Songs: Bracket Set (Post 1228), Finals: Jeffersons vs. Mssion: Impossible

Seinfeld did its part to try to keep it alive.

7 Likes

I was perfectly ready to vote against NBA on NBC - it’s iconic, but repetitive - but the True Detective theme just didn’t land for me.

1 Like

Thoughts on this round:

• Looks like I’m one of the few that really dislikes GOT, although I would still vote for it over Step by Step
  • Not Wookie’s fault, but the audio for some of these is muddier than the bayou during rainy season. Also, what’s up with all the extended versions? 36 minutes of NFL music - GTFO!
  • Dr. Who vs. White Lotus was hard, but ultimately the Dr. Who theme was too long and repetitive while White Lotus was tighter and had better development

Please invalidate the votes of anyone who didn’t listen to the full 36 minutes

2 Likes

Jason Alexander has performed on Broadway, so his bad singing here is in character

1 Like

Started re-watching X-files this weekend, that theme song isn’t much to listen to on its on, but is perfect for the show.

2 Likes

Here’s the bracket in case you don’t like scrolling

I’m like the MLB writer with his own set of rules for HOF voting, but I will not vote for non-purely-original themes. Hence no Doctor Who and no True Detective. For the latter, just taking a cool song and playing it at the beginning of your show does not a theme make. And give me OG Doctor Who or none at all.

• Game of Thrones is going to make a deep run. It could easily be this blocks E8 berth. Saved by the Bell is better than a lot of trash that’s been eliminated, but not that much better than some of the weaker winners. It could have survived a round by bum hunting, but I’m not sad to see it go.
  • NBA on NBC is super strong in the sports theme sub-genre, and I’m just not feeling True Detective.
  • I was enjoying White Lotus until it got all WooWooWooWoo. That’s a no from me, dawg.
  • Was there ever a lawsuit about how the Simpsons theme sounds so much like the Jetsons theme? I hadn’t really noticed it until a big comparison of TV themes, but I can’t unhear it. I guess I’m in the minority, but I’m enjoying the reggae beat and positive vibes of Arthur more than I thought from a children’s show.
  • Peacemaker is overseeded, but it’s better than a forgettable Step by Step.
  • Not really sure what people are hearing in Sanford and Son. It does nothing for me, while TaleSpin is still pretty catchy.
  • Rawhide is the other big contender from this block. Darkwing is good, but it’s not on this level.
  • NFL Primetime is the weakest sports theme in the bracket, but I’m not feeling Greatest American Hero at all.

I think this is one that where the 80s cheese is turned all the way up to 11/10, and either you are all in on that or your are WTF?

1 Like

Yeah, apt description.

It’s not really that it’s dialed-up cheesiness, it’s part of the comedy of the show.

Just thought of a pretty massive oversight. This one is ahead of almost all the cartoon themes we’ve seen so far imo:

As good as the regular theme is, the opener for the 1987 movie just might be my favorite opening for anything ever.

1 Like

Even Little Einsteins?

They’re neck and neck

Weak block IMO. The only one that would upset me if it lost is Sanford and Son. I like Game of Thrones, but I feel people overrate that one because they like the show.
(Of course that could be said of any number of these.)

FWIW I’ve never seen a minute of Game of Thrones and thought it was very strong.

I don’t care about Game of Thrones - it’s fine, but I fell off and stopped watching early in season 2 - but I think that theme is undeniable.

This is not a repeat of the fraudulent Better Call Saul support.

Very weak block, maybe even weaker than the last one.

• GoT easily. This seems like a massive favorite to win the block. SBTB is actually above average for this block and is deservedly getting crushed.
  • NBA on NBC isn’t my favorite of the sports ones, but I’m not feeling True Detective at all.
  • Love The White Lotus theme. Glad I’m not the only one.
  • I remembered The Jetsons being better than that. Arthur theme very good for a show I’ve never seen.
  • Peacemaker I guess? Not a big fan of either one.
  • TaleSpin theme is great. I don’t quite have it in the DuckTales/Rescue Rangers tier, but it is just behind.
  • Darkwing Duck is a step or two below, plus Rawhide is great.
  • NFL Primetime in another matchup that I don’t really care about.

This was a meh-off round. Jetsons was a big disappointment compared to what I expected going in.

Game of Thrones and NBA on NBC are the only contenders imo.

The sports themes are going to dominate. Best tv leads to best music. Mid-to-late 90s had an unprecedented amount of established NBA legends all on different teams. The theme hit perfectly.