GOAT Movie Themes - First Block of Round 3 Posted

Yeah fair enough, I’m admittedly in the confused group who was crediting the video we’re voting on with the original (though derivative) work penned for the movie.

1 Like

I mean, if it was genuinely a one-hit wonder tune then I’d agree with this.

It’s similar to the Maroon 5 “why not just completely copy Pachelbel’s Canon?” song: when you’re already richer than god from music, you have no excuse to not be better than that.

(I don’t know when Summer of 69 came out, but I’m assuming “I would die for youuuuuuuu” wasn’t necessary to make Adams’ career.)

1 Like

This is a banger come at me

1 Like

jfc, how has Apocalypse Now not appeared? (unless I missed it along the way)

One of the best Naxos CDs I bought as a teen. I guess music is pretty close to free now at scale so $5.99 per CD doesn’t say much, but i had a great collection for my 10 CD stereo back then. I’m so bad at music in a post-CD, post-iPod world.

Infinitely better recording of the Warsaw than the one I submitted.

I was in high school when that song had its reign of terror. It was EVERYWHERE. You couldn’t get away from it. I have PTSD just from seeing the thumbnail.

Awww man, I thought we were getting Hero by Josie Scott.

What a ripoff!

:fire::fire::fire:

It was awful in America.

I can only imagine how bad it was once you add Can-Con to the mix.

The Weary Kind is not a bad song at all, I like it. Would have voted for it over many other entrants.

• Wasn’t really a fan of the Warsaw Concerto, but it’s not Bryan Adams, so it gets my vote.
  • I know it wasn’t written for the film, but still voted for 2001. I went hard at Pink Panther in the TV theme game, but this feels different, though I’m not sure I can coherently explain why.
  • Never seen Lawrence of Arabia, but that theme was great.
  • JFC that Gremlins theme is obnoxious. I probably would have voted for Bryan Adams over that. Black Hawk Down is honestly pretty bad, but still voting for it.
  • For A Few Dollars More. Next.
  • I’m not a big fan of that Simple Minds song and was set to be the first dissenter, but then I listened to Midnight Cowboy.
  • Superman easily.
  • Shawshank in another easy vote, but it’s honestly not that great either.

This block is terrible. Can we bring back most of the losers from Block 4?

Blazing hot take.

Did you at least enjoy the movie?

I am not a huge Simple Minds fan, but I was very pleased to check out their recent music and find it’s still quite good.

That’s a movie that I’m pretty sure I’ve seen in its entirety, but never all at once - I"ve just caught bits and pieces when it’s been on TV. I think I liked it.

This is also true for me for My Cousin Vinny, though I definitely liked that one.

1 Like

wat

I guess I just assume all of us are Gen X - how old are you?

1 Like

1 Like

I’m afraid you’re going to have to come up with something. You also went hard at Wonder Years.

1 Like

OK I’m back to wat then. I guess you were a little young for it and then just never got around to it. Huh.

1 Like

As a 44-year-old: no we were not too young, not with how ubiquitous it is. But everyone has their weird blind spots.

2 Likes

Round 1, Block 5 Justifications

*Everything I Do vs. Warsaw Concerto-It may seem hard to believe, but I have never heard this Bryan Adams jimmy rustler. It may have fallen in just the right time for me to avoid it. I didn’t listen to any pop music back then, so it’s not really that surprising that I ‘missed’ it. It seems like another stalker song to me, so whatever. It’s also boring, so I guess I pick Warsaw Concerto, a song that would be very at home in a Val Lewton movie. Have you seen any of those? If not, get on that. They’ll make you forget you ever heard of Bryan Adams.

*The Bridge on the River Kwai vs. 2001-One of these movies is a classic I’ve seen and one is a classic I haven’t seen. Alec Guinness really had some kind of force with him at his peak, and this film was no exception. It was great when spoiler alert. Did you know Stanley Kubrick hated stereo? He would have really hated this out of phase version of the song in this competition, because mono was king to him. Even he might have picked the whistling, especially in the spirit of this competition. I also agree with my imaginary version of him that the whistling song is better. Thanks Stan.

*Spider-Man vs. Lawrence of Arabia-Spider-Man has quite a good theme here but it is not gonna beat the Hans Zimmer of his day, Maurice Jarre. This song is epic and fitting of such an epic movie and that’s one of the many reasons it beats Spider-Man for me.

*Black Hawk Down vs. Gremlins-Speaking of Hans Effing Zimmer, here he or one of his ghost writers is again. This song does next to nothing for me. Is this one of those songs where they show a bunch of explosions with no sound effects? It seems like it. I don’t care if I’m right or wrong. Gremlins, wow, that is awful, like horrific. What was the brief? Make it goofy and orchestral, but as cheesy as possible, but also make it big, but small too, and ask John Carpenter what his favorite synth and drum machine is, then ask his least favorite and pick that instead, oh and I want it to remind me a little bit of going to the circus as a child. Man, picking another dam Zimmer song that really is not up to snuff.

*For a Few Dollars More vs. Crazy Heart-Congrats to Ennio for getting another song into the zeitgeist. Oh God, it’s that effing guy from Yellowstone. No thanks. Ennio wins it.

*The Breakfast Club vs. Midnight Cowboy-In a battle of movies I’ve done work for, first up is Simple Minds with a solid effort of a song written for the movie that also became a hit in alternative circles and well beyond. It’s a much better effort than Pretty in Pink. It was even #36 on the Adult Contemporary chart…lol. The funny thing is Simple Minds didn’t want to do it until nobody else wanted to do it either. Their band name now makes sense. The John Barry Midnight Cowboy theme is quite good, but I don’t know if there’s an Elevator Music chart it could have reached #36 on, so I gotta go with Simple Minds. Here’s a little story, my mom won an Oscar picking competition in the local paper before I was born. She got $500 for winning, and Midnight Cowboy put her over the top. She said she wanted to spend it on a trip to Acapulco. I wonder if she did.

*Superman vs. Cal-Ain’t nothing beating Superman in this round, especially not that dweeb Mark Knopfler, even without him singing. Next.

*Man on Fire vs. The Shawshank Redemption-I am not picking against Frank Darabont, who gave me an incredible signed painting with a nice note of The Shawshank Redemption after the work I did for his commentary on that one. I had one very memorable very long day sitting with him in the commentary recording room that led to many more memorable days sitting in while he was recording his commentary for The Green Mile. The Shawshank commentary led to a long period of work for me on his stuff, with me only missing out on The Walking Dead season 1. Why? Because it would have been too expensive to work with me. How laughable is that now? Sorry Man on Fire. Of note in the Shawshank theme is how great that string arrangement is. That’s the kind of orchestral string sound I love.

3 Likes

In the interested of fairness, I switched it until I can think of a better explanation.

1 Like