#34 Black Hawk Down vs. #95 Gremlins
  • #34 Black Hawk Down.

• #95 Gremlins

0 voters

Round 1, Block 5, Matchup 37

#15 For a Few Dollars More

VS.

#114 The Weary Kind (Crazy Heart)

#15 For a Few Dollars More vs. #114 The Weary Kind (Crazy Heart)
  • #15 For a Few Dollars More.

• #114 The Weary Kind (Crazy Heart)

0 voters

Round 1, Block 5, Matchup 38

#50 Don’t You Forget About Me (The Breakfast Club)

VS.

#79 The Midnight Cowboy

#50 Don’t You Forget About Me (The Breakfast Club) vs. #79 The Midnight Cowboy
  • #50 Don’t You Forget About Me (The Breakfast Club)

• #79 The Midnight Cowboy

0 voters

Round 1, Block 5, Matchup 39

#18 Superman

VS.

#111 Irish Boy (Cal)

#18 Superman vs. #111 Irish Boy (Cal)
  • #18 Superman.

• #111 Irish Boy (Cal)

0 voters

Round 1, Block 5, Matchup 40

#47 Sadness (Man on Fire)

VS.

#82 Shawshank Redemption

#47 Sadness (Man on Fire) vs. #82 Shawshank Redemption
  • #47 Sadness (Man on Fire).

• #82 Shawshank Redemption

0 voters

Will listen to these tomorrow.

Can already tell you that unless the Warsaw Concerto has a random guest appearance by Drake or Meghan Trainor or Creed, I’ll be voting for it.

Goddammit that Bryan Adams song is terrible.

4 Likes

Thought I was going to vote for “Man on Fire”, but within seconds of playing the Shawshank theme I had goosebumps. Gotta go with the visceral reaction.

I hate it so bad I didn’t even bother to listen to the other song before voting against it.

2 Likes

You’ll all be fans by the time Everything I Do makes it to the finals

1 Like

My man Bryan is still killing it at 64 years old.

When I was growing up we used to say “noting wrong with a Bryan Adam’s song a good fire couldn’t fix.” Sometime the old sayings are the best sayings.

1 Like

:eyes::eyes::eyes:

Okay, what the hell is with the Spiderman votes against Lawrence of Arabia? Big Better Call Saul energy going on there. Shit.

1 Like

I assume Lawrence will survive that weirdness, but if both David Lean classics have their themes bow out this round it will be truly absurd. River Kwai should pretty clearly beat out a pre-existing classical piece cosplaying as a movie theme, but I obviously knew what I was going to find when I clicked my correct vote into that one.

1 Like

The Warsaw losing to what has to be a bottom ten all-time pop song has me seriously questioning this forum.

I actually have a movie idea about this piece. Its about a recently divorced guy who is slowly (and sometimes not so slowly) losing his mind while spending all his free time practicing the Henry Geehl piano solo arrangement of the Warsaw as a sub-mediocre took-lessons-as-a-kid pianist. May or may not be entirely autobiographical.

2 Likes

I’d watch it, but only if it opens with the theme from 2001

FYP

2 Likes

The Bryan Adams haters are just mad they couldnt come up with one song that sets them up for life.

1 Like

The Kwai tune is basically a repurposing of the Colonel Bogey March. The British Army sang it in WW2 to the lyrics of:

“Hitler, has only got one ball.
Goering, has two but very small.
Himmler, has something similar,
But Goebbels has no balls at all.”

Edit: Now I’ve gone a bit cross eyed because I’m not even sure that the version listed here ever even appeared in the original film; it’s actually an amalgamation of two different themes.

The unadorned ‘River Kwai March’ goes like this:

The only time the ‘Colonel Bogey March’ appears in the film is in this scene:

The combination of the two, which everyone associates with the movie, seems to have been separaely created by a bloke called Mitch Miller (news to me).

1 Like

Man, I love the Cal theme but how can you vote against Superman (You can’t)?

Nothing against the Bryan Adams song but I prefer the bloody awful Warsaw Concerto.

1 Like