From NBA Live '95 to 2K20: An Unstuck 5 Year NBA Dynasty Draft

I’m out too, sorry.

i’ll follow along every day (w00t more things to read that isn’t covid related!) and if someone starts to miss/fall behind i’ll step in.

was legit pumped to see a modern era 5-year dynasty draft starting just now :+1:t4:

Be careful. The Artful Dodger may tell you to fuck off.

That would be foolish.

If there’s not the will there’s not the way. We’ll just call this a failed experiment. No need to jam the square peg in a round hole.

I like the format tho, I’m going to post in TZ. Create a new acct @anachronistic.

he for real said jae crowder

15 seems ambitious, but 8 seems too short. This gets more interesting when we get deep enough that people are picking players who aren’t on other posters’ boards.

It’s ok, thank you for trying to spearhead it w/ me.

please don’t compare yourself to me :wink: lol

he won’t

So far we have more people bailing than draft picks made.

8 and a coach sounds like it’d be perfect, teams would basically be superstars but there’d also be a clear top 5 and bottom 5

and how’d you steal All-InMcLovin’s (TZ legend and leader) name?

figured for a second that just him and dodger could get a draft off the ground with their wills alone, then i realized you’re just some weirdo. :frowning:

Yeah, you’d figure a guy with posts like:

Would make some posts of his own in TZ. (Like meb did in the FACK.) Instead of immediately outing but declaring he’ll be trolling (and then actually doing so).

I can start it or wait until all of the panties get unbunched. What say ye? Concur that 15 seems like a ton for what are going to end up being all-star teams. If it was a rotation of like 8-10 then you’d have to think a little harder about drafting a disposable S-Tier Rent-A-GOAT.

Sure.

We’ll say 8 plus a coach. And I don’t care if we nix the coach.

I’m probably overreacting to the last draft where there was a push for continuous drafting after 9 rounds (and that was 22 teams/posters).

Do you want @anon29622970’s team @wiper? Anyone that wants to jump back in can.

The first pick is in. Writeup incoming.

1 Like

Doing this for now.

But if there’s an overall desire to continue we can feel that out by the end of rd 6-7.

Does the starting 5 need to be an actual starting 5? Or can I take 8 centers theoretically? And wtf are people already quitting?

It’s your team.

Look what Morey did with Houston. That would’ve seemed an out there hypothetical too.

QUESTION FOR THREAD

Should we continue to have a requirement that you must draft X number of current players? (Previously it was about half current/half historic.)

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Being gifted the first pick, I was tempted to snapcall what seemed like the obvious answer. The format is a bit different though so I decided to think it through and look for strategies that may not be apparent at first glance.

Basketball is an asymmetrical sport in many ways. First, results tend to skew heavily in the direction of god-tier players, and second, this effect compounds itself when it really matters–the NBA Playoffs. There’s also relative scarcity of players starting their clocks now versus the collection of superstars of years past, and that must be weighed against the possibility of choosing legacy players with shortened careers due to injury, retirement, and even return from retirement followed by another retirement. After weighing these factors and checking the analytics, it became clear to me that the correct answer was to fire up the hot tub time machine and draft the best basketball player of all time:

2008-09 LeBron James

I think cases could be made for different 5-year rolling windows of LeBron. That said, the 2008-09 season performance was particularly incredible and a clear line of demarcation in his career. Based on rate statistics, his 08/09 campaign was the best single season playoff performance of all time [PER 37.4 (2) / WS48 0.399 (1) / BPM 17.5 (1)]. Those are absolutely stupid numbers, their significance muddled by and in spite of a fucking Garbage Pail Kids patchwork supporting cast of Delonte West, Mo Williams, Anderson Varejao, and Zydrunas Ilgauskas. I’m tall enough to ride the coasters, I don’t use comic sans, and I don’t pair the GOAT with the JV squad.

In the five consecutive regular seasons from 2008-09 to 2012-13, LBJ led the league in PER, WS, WS/48, BPM, and VORP according to BRef. The 2008-09 season also appears to be a jump in skill acquisition with TS% reaching a new plateau:

And the playoff numbers:

2 Likes