First Impressions Containment Thread

Before there are categories to organize feedback better, maybe a first impressions thread will have some utility. First thoughts:

• Learning curve is real, but that’s entirely fine with me. My instinct is to just to figure out away to use it like the old board and incorporate new stuff as I go along.
  • Like the themes, zz Grey early favorite.
  • I hope summary stats in your profile are private even for admins?

STATS * 1 day visited * 9m read time * 8 topics viewed * 12 posts read

1 Like

You can hide your public profile which will hide these stats. I just did this, so if you click on my profile you can see what’s there. Also bonus Discourse tip: click on the image to enlarge it.

1 Like

I would like more/different ways to like posts, even if it’s just two options “good post” “great post” or “like it” “love it”, but I’m assuming that this is too hard to do.

I have disliked the like button since its lamentable inception (do I like something a little, a lot, or is this a GOAT post or video worthy of a Mark Twain award), my default mode is to be unsparingly parsimonious with it, but there is obviously forum value to liking good solid posting so ehh, gonna wrestle with this one.

1 Like

Cool, ty

Who is that information for? Why would another user care if you (or anyone else) liked their post a little or a lot? I just don’t see the point.

Ok first possibly? feasible request, it could be a bit clearer what category (sub forum basically?) you’re posting in e.g. atm I see:

My eye wants to see the same emphasis and a hierarchy: About Unstuck > Feedback > Thread Title

or is that an old messageboard anti-pattern to avoid?

p.s. love the native image upload thing, is it going to some photobucket type thing automatically?

Some of those navigation issues were brought up when we were testing out the demo site and everybody agreed they could be better. It’s something I hope we can address in the near future, but probably not right away.

They’re stored directly on the server. Disk space is dirt cheap and doing it that way solves a bunch of other common forum issues.

Think I like the simple black theme. Seems cool so far. Nice job all.

I noticed it does get styled a bit differently in the themes, but yeah I know enough to know that simple changes aren’t usually simple.

Cool, also the preview feature itself is very nice.

It appears that users can change their own usernames? Is that change impossible to see for other regular users, or can you suss it out like at ProBoards?

Also, who can see emails? Have we communicated this adequately to the community? A lot of people at the ProBoard site were like meh but some cared.

Another quicky…

I might propose some guidelines for posting quotes/cites that helps us avoid copyright infringement scrutiny. Something like, post a link to the original source and not more than one paragraph. Seen some questionable stuff on the ProBoard site, one in particular tonight, and thought I’d mention it.

Edit: glanced over the TOCs and the Content Standards #2 is the “principle” of this but doesn’t spell out particulars.

1 Like

Where’s the dislike button? Asking for a friend.

1 Like

When can I start doing my H&F log over here?

Users can change their name for the first 3 days after registration only. It’s to make sure people are comfortable with what they’ve chosen. You get a few days for do-overs.

Only admins can see emails, and it’s logged.

Not super sold on any of the themes so far, but zz Neutral is my favorite of the available options.

That sounds good, thanks for the info.

Why is there a forum I can’t post in and others can? I’m assuming this isn’t permanent.

I had a very good joke for the lc thread and it’s wasted now!

stupid greg

ooh i like the delete, undelete function!