FIRE (Financial Independence; Retire Early)

This HAS to have been written by an AI

It how much would a million make you?

1 Like

Got an email today from LendingClub letting me know that my HYSA APY has increased to 4.5%, was a nice little surprise.

Type of savings accountTypical APYInterest on $100,000 after 1 yearTotal amount in savings account after 1 yearSavings account paying competitive rates4.85%$4,850$104,850Savings account paying the national average0.58%$580$100,580Savings accounts from various big brick-and-mortar banks0.01%$10$100,010

Hahahahhahaha nice proofreading. That’s a plain text copy btw.

1 Like

My TD Ameritrade account is transferring to Schwab (who acquired TDA) in a few weeks. My monthly mortgage and car payment come out of that account automatically. The probability that at least one of those payments gets fucked up is 100%, right?

2 Likes

I was transferred successfully like two months ago and it was pretty seamless, e.g. all my connected bank accounts were still connected and transaction history was migrated correctly and such, but I was using Ameritrade as only a brokerage and not a bank and didn’t have payments going directly from that account.

I would put your odds closer to 50/50

I hope you’re right. I can’t even get a straight answer from them when I ask directly, which is enormously irritating. I lose access to my TDA account on 9/1 and gain access to my Schwab account on 9/5. My mortgage payment is due to be pulled from TDA in between those dates. I think I’m just going to double-pay it to make sure that it goes through, but man this is irritating.

Same. Smooth transition but they’re just my (terrible) stock portfolio.

https://x.com/spacepixel/status/1747554757546483778?s=20

2 Likes

I WORK FOR MY DAD’S COMPANY

RAINBOW TEXT X19474936387

1 Like

I know that god does not exist because a meteor did not flatten that podcast studio to rubble

4 Likes

Omg it gets even worse at the end when dad explains it’s essentially a tax avoidance scheme

2 Likes

So looking to get setup for the later years. Trying to find an advisor that doesn’t want to charge a ton is seeming impossible.

Have been quoted up to 2% of assets per year. I mean wtf.

I’m the finance person in the family. So my spouse wants someone that can manage things if I die first.

It all seem like a scam.

1 Like

You should be able to find an advisor who doesn’t charge a percentage. That kind of thing is one topic the Bogleheads forum is good for.

1 Like

Don’t pay a percentage of assets under management. That’s for donks. And 2% is ridiculous.

What you want is an fee-only financial planner that doesn’t sell you investment products. They will charge you a flat fee or hourly rate to just look at your shit and tell you what to do. They’re not that hard to find. Normally there are very few scammers offering this service.

Yeah, this is a great resource also. We all love to LOL Bogleheads, but if you are an old and are nearing retirement, you can post a question about your personal situation and the advice you receive will normally be excellent. It’s chock full of retired/retiring Boomers who likely have a lot of the same goals as you do.

What more than the famous index card do you think you need help with?

The investment piece is honestly pretty easy. Find an hourly person on bogleheads, Rick Ferri seems pretty good for example.

What I’ve found really hard to get good advice on is tax stuff. I’ve tried in vain for like 5 years to find a good CPA who can give legitimately good tax advice.

I gave up a lot sooner than that. I don’t think they exist. It’s crazy how many CPAs, can’t properly fill out the tax forms for a backdoor roth and/or don’t even know what one is (my search was quite a while ago, so maybe they’ve figured these things out by now).

On the other hand, if you are an employed individual without some sort of side business, there isn’t a whole lot that can be done. There is likely not some sort of advice that you’re missing out on.

Thanks all. I’m doing fine on investments with funds.

It’s all the details of getting ready for the next phase
-spread over multiple accounts
-figuring best SS plan. I’m 8 years older than the wife.
-when does Roth conversion make sense.
-long term care and other shit I don’t know.

Been looking for locals. I think I’d rather have a small personal/local person/group.

Will check out Bogelheads.