FIRE (Financial Independence; Retire Early)

I stopped using Mint years ago because of issues like this. Since I have a Fidelity account, I just use the Fidelity aggregator to keep track of all of my investments, including those held at other brokerages.

Does Fidelity’s aggregator pull in external credit card accounts? Tracking spend is 95% of my usage on Mint. Tracking investments maybe 5%.

Mint’s issues have been tolerable enough that I still use it. Switching is tough because then you lose all transaction history (unless there’s a personal budget aggregator that is capable of pulling in all historical transactions in accounts). But you still lose any manual changes/transactions that you’ve entered over the years.

Yes, although it’s not going to be able to do analysis on any of the charges on a credit card bill. It will just post what your current balance (or debt) is on any of your cards.

Anybody got a price on a good, used guillotine?

https://www.reddit.com/r/facepalm/comments/14kwbrv/not_sufficient_you_say/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

But how much on candles

1 Like

I think we did this one already.

I figure I’ll be dead in 25 years anyway. I’m not much of a spender which helps but yeah not making much these days so just grinding whatever little things I can here and there. Unless things go to shit I’ll probably be alright.

if you look at the article this “couple” (that they dont even name) lives in NYC but apparently took out loans on multiple 100k cars that they would hardly ever drive. and their tax rate would not be anywhere near 40% effective after all the mortgage interest/childcare/charity/SALT/student loan expenses/writeoffs they would have. it’s just an outrage bait article made up to get clicks.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s some perverse people that just like to go oh 500k/year we’re barely making it and they are spending half the average salary in my rural era on three vacations a year. Shut up.

There’s some other major lol’s in there college alumni donations especially while still having big student loans, 10k/year on clothes (only if your job requires not the cheap suit I guess) but yeah it’s a bait article that worked

1 Like

And pouring 36k into 401k wow hard life

And oh only 7k! Leftover geee

The funniest thing is they’re donating $18,000 to charity, saving $36,000 and still have $7,300 left over. That’s $62,000 over their expenses! And add in the $32,000 student loan payments and $60,000 mortgage payment, their net worth is going up over 100k a year just before any growth on any investments.

1 Like

Even without deductions NYS state and NYC combined effective tax rate is about 9% plus about 24% for federal and FICA. I don’t know what the sales tax situation is like but I’m guessing it’s not getting them anywhere close to 40%.

the maxing 36k into a 401k was a dead giveway that this was complete fake, the venn diagram of the couple who are responsibly maxing 36k/year into their 401ks and the couple who are so bad at finances that they have to make 10k/year in car payments on a 500k/year salary because they cant buy in cash are two completely separate circles.

2 Likes

18k/year max individual hasn’t been the limit for like 5 years

The true mystery in all this is the 7 grand they have left over. After spending, saving and charity you should have 0 dollars left over. Those are the only things you can do with money! Is this what is sitting in their change bowl?

1 Like

This doesn’t seem outrageous at all - it’s a total of $833/month. We’ve got something like that right now just for our minivan.

Are you also maxing your 401K and taking 3 vacations a year?

I’m disputing the implication that 10k in car payments per year necessarily implies bad financial planning (even on a high salary).

1 Like

I have met plenty of high earning couples that max their tax deferred savings every year and then terribly mismanage the rest if their finances. I would actually say that among doctors I’ve met this was the normal personal finance model.

Yeah - the max 401k, take on consumer debt >>>> 401k contributions plan is hilariously common