FIRE (Financial Independence; Retire Early)

Yglesias thinks everyone on a skateboard is stupid.

I live with a librarian! I’d like Matthew to say this shit to her face!

2 Likes

Me too.

My god, that’s actually his worst tweet ever

okay i’ll give it a go

grand hawaiian estate right next to the ocean: 25 million

1985 ferrari 308 gts: 96,000

rolex GMT-master 16750: 14,000

authentically british butler: 130,000/year

two doberman pinchers: 5,000/year

beer, hotdogs, popcorn, fig newtons and milk: 10,000/year

4 Likes

In 2016, after years of climbing the corporate ladder, living frugally and investing the excess cash he saved, Adcock retired at age 35 with about $900,000.

:harold:

I wouldn’t want to fade another 60 years with that nest egg

SWR is like $30k. Come on.

“Years” of climbing the corporate ladder? What, like 10?

A 35 year old thinks 10 years is a long time because it is a significant majority of their adult lives.

Can confirm

Which is also why the thought of working for 30 more years is fucking TERRIFYING

3 Likes

We spend around $1000/mo. for groceries alone (no kids). Various insurances (car, life, health, house) and property tax is another $1000.

so $1800/mo. seems very, very low

yeah I finally talked to the wife who put that number together. She said it was all essentials but forgot groceries which for us is $100/week. So I guess probably another 1k on average if you throw in going out on occasion, liquor/thc, gasoline once a month, shopping. Still not much.

A friend of mine told me that he and his wife (no kids) spend $2k/month on food & groceries and it blew my mind.

arbys combo with soda from postmates: $30

$30x3x30=$2700. it adds up quick

7 Likes

I looked at our budget and my wife and I (no kids) spend $2,200/month on groceries, restaurants, coffee, and drinks. I don’t even think we go out that much and try to eat at home most of the time. Things just add up, I guess.

2 Likes

2k/month would have been about $1300-1400/month a couple of years ago, I dont think thats unreasonable for two people,

When I calculated how much I need and if I can afford to reduce my hours without giving up much I calculated roughly 500€/month for the supermarket. But I have to say that I dont look a lot at prices and try to buy organic or fair trade whereever I can. When I looked at my list yesterday I actually paid 3,60 for 2 bell papers which in hindsight I found extreme. Quite few items I bought regularly in the past have almost doubled in price so these are few where I would wait for them to be on discount. I am not even owning a car or have to pay a mortgage and people around me earn even less. So in the end it would be between reducing the amount I put into my ETF’s each month or buying the cheaper stuff which I dont think is a good idea in the current state of affairs. I dont want others to suffer so I can still live my lifestyle where I dont have to care much if I buy what I want today.

The 60+ middle manager types around the office who definitely need the money are pretty depressing.

You can overcome a lot of small mistakes and over spending but the people who have multiple divorces always seem to be the ones stuck working way longer than they want to.

Lol my wife used to have a colleague who was a doctor with an almost $C 400,000 salary with a public sector final average DB pension plan and who worked on the weekends out of a clinic to make extra medical billings revenue on the side. He FINALLY managed to retire at age 72 or 73 with 4 ex wives.

I eat 3-4 orange bell peppers a week and they’re priced around $4 per pound. My normal spot has pretty big ones I think I usually end up spending $10-12 each trip just for peppers which seems kind of crazy but I love them.

I don’t really have any clue what our monthly food spend is (2 adults no kids). My main grocery run is $150-200 and I do that every 10 days or so but also supplement it with stops at the place right by my house. Usually don’t get out of there for less than $50. So maybe like $800 per month on ģroceries, booze $100-200, eating out changes pretty drastically month to month, probably $200-300 on average.