FIRE (Financial Independence; Retire Early)

Yeah that was my first thought too. Well more specifically it was “I fucking hate you”, but same idea.

Gonna guess there should be an extra zero.

Huh? No kids, no mortgage (~$500 of that amount is factored property tax), no streaming services :pirate_flag: , no expensive hobbies.

Still $1300 for food, utilities, car, various insurances, basic household items, etc. seems really lean.

I’m not sure hobbies count for ‘nut’ purposes, but I’d count the travel you described as an expensive hobby. If, as you say, it would have to go, then it is of course excluded from the monthly nut.

Lol. No mortgage probably means no car payment. Or maybe you mean gas?

Obviously I didn’t think he had a car payment. Owning a car ain’t free, tho. Gas, tags, maintenance, parking when going out. Also insurance, but I did list that separately.

I guess this varies by state. I pay like $450 for three years, so that’s pretty marginal. Maintenance should be a couple oil changes of $50 and maybe some slight upkeep for what I assume is a rich man’s car, tires every few years: marginal, marginal.

Parking when going out probably the biggest cost, although I assume poster mostly Ubers when going out.

It’s all marginal, but when you’re down to 1300 a month on non-housing spending, that marginal stuff adds up.

Yeah, I’m pretty frugal in a low cost area and that’s insanely low.

I’ll recalculate tomorrow but we don’t drive much, we go out to eat a couple times a month, doesn’t seem that low but yeah.

so good

Not directly FIRE related, but thought this was an interesting exercise. Basically, asking people what their ideal future looked like, and then trying to actually pencil out how much money that life would require.

2 Likes

Grue obviously not buying enough candles

2 Likes

Pretty sure you shouldnt be beating off in the library

5 Likes

That’s what my librarians keep telling me.

Going to the wrong libraries, obviously

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1660746588627652628?t=6pJzapadj4MQJoLuTeR8EA&s=19

1 Like

What in the hell is Matthew on about there? The library is punk as fuck.

1 Like

i love the first one, they’re like, “hey this 50,000$/year elementary school is more expensive than you think, one time they asked me for a $500 donation”

5 Likes

I think he’s probably thinking of a library more as a huge marble building full of dusty old books founded by a Carnegie or a Ivy league endowment and less as a community center where people can actually hang out, learn, and build community without having to spend money…

3 Likes

I know one librarian and she’s super into punk and knows people from the 70s punk scene in SoCal. (Black flag, pennywise, descendents, circle jerks…)

2 Likes