Feature requests

I realize that you can hover or click the days ago to get the time stamp, but I like when it’s just there. Especially when you’re talking about current events, the timing of a post can matter quite a bit. Annoying to have to look for it.

2 Likes

Posts are loaded and unloaded dynamically so there’s no performance hit. We had a 200+ post thread on the demo site and I’ve checked one with thousands of posts on another site. Smooth sailing even on my crappy 10 year old laptop.

The scroll bar on the right also displays dates.

Does anyone actually prefer how long ago the post was to having the time stamp on there?

I’ll admit I kinda didn’t like it at first, but it actually makes a lot more sense to do it that way. We have users all over the world. Even if you go with the largest user base of N. America, which time zone do you use? We have ~equal numbers on the east and west coasts, and there are a lot of people in the middle bits too.

On 2+2 my local timezone was displayed. I assume the same must be possible on Discourse.

What do you see when you hover over the ‘X minutes ago’ thing on a post? It’s local for me.

It’s local for me, too, so it shoud be possible to just display the post time instead of time passed.

I want to know how many posts people have and when they registered. How else will I know who’s a good poster?

3 Likes

I prefer seeing a timestamp in local time, but knowing that we can mouse over to get that rather than having to do such onerous math in our heads does indeed make it hard to justify sinking non-trivial amounts of work into changing it. If there’s not a readily available plugin or some sort of switch to flip, and also substantial agreement with me and Louis about the preference, I can deal.

I’d like to see the date/time of a post instead of hours/days ago as well, and I’d like an improved display of tweets. Also a single button to click to quote a post would be nice, but it’s not the worst thing in the world to highlight the text first, then click reply.

1 Like

This has me thinking… What if we did a “Fuck off Nazi scum” button?

1 Like

I’m glad not to have my number of posts there staring at me accusatorially.

I’d rather have these displayed personally, it’d be cool if it was an option, but what really guilt trips me is the little statistic for number of hours spent reading on the site. I know at some point I’m going to look at that and be like, “Holy crap I spend a ton of time on there!”

It’ll probably be good for me in the long run, because I’ll likely end up trying to keep it to a more reasonable amount of time… but that’s not necessarily good for the site if we all start doing that.

Somebody else mentioned this too. I think (but not positive yet) that I can change it. I’ll try to tackle this tonight.

You can just click the speech bubble thing in the reply screen and it’ll quote everything, no need to highlight text.

dt
Just in case you ever go back and want localized time.

1 Like

+1 to fixing the display of tweets.

Going back to beetlejuice’s quote thing, I think the only option to keep everybody happy would be an option under the user’s profile for “always quote when replying” that could be turned on or off. No idea if this is remotely possible.

I agree with this. I strongly prefer the timestamp, but I wouldn’t worry about it if it is a difficult fix. I think if could be fixed in under 1 hour, then it’s probably worth it. Otherwise, I’m sure there are more important issues to address.

Attempting to link to zikzak’s post about edit times in the Help Desk thread. Ignore everything after “community wants” since it’s about something completely unrelated to edit time.

1 Like

Couple of questions regarding features that may already exist, but if they don’t then they should

1. Is multiquoting possible.
  2. When I use the bubble button to quote, it quotes the post AND whatever was quoted in that post. On 2+2 it didn’t do that. Is there a way to have that kind of post quoting ability here (i.e., just new content and not prior quotes).

Thanks, greg