Feature requests

Post here about any new features you might want.

There was a request for a Not Like feature for posts. It doesn’t seem there’s a Discourse plugin for this, but there is one for something similar. I’m not really sure I’d be in favor of the Not Like button as a feature, but it’s a nice little project to do something in developing Discourse features and I’m thinking about working on it.

edit: Man - I can’t believe I got ponied on this when I started this thread just to post that.

2 Likes

I am not sure that negative buttons are conducive to a friendly posting environment. I know another forum that has a „respectfully disagree“ button. I‘d prefer that over „dislike“.

I would definitely like more positive buttons. In addition to ‚like‘ I suggest “agree“, „interesting“ and „funny“.

2 Likes

I’d like a button that automatically quotes the post I’m replying to in my reply

1 Like

Undertitles/badges

Does this not do it?

What button are you hitting?

When you hit reply and then the text box opens, hit the speech bubble in the top left corner (beside the B)

Even if such a button did exist, I’d still prefer one button and one click to 2 buttons and 2 clicks

It definitely exists on my laptop browser (Chrome) and on my iPhone. You don’t seem to have any formatting options such as bold etc. I’m guess formatting options might be hidden behind one of the icons on your screen.
What are you browsing on?

I can highlight text and quote posts on mobile but it’s even more of a pita than hitting 2 buttons

Chrome on android

Ah ok I found it. It’s one button to reply, one button to open the formatting toolbar, and another button to quote the post I’m replying to

Please streamline this, I’m literally dying

1 Like

I got it as 2 buttons. Reply, then the little bubble. And the preview window shows changes live which is cool so you know it works and aren’t fiddling with bbcode as ninja edits when you’re doing something new.

But this is on Chrome/PC and not on the phone.

But, the one click, show it with the quote does seem like a good feature and I’m very glad you’re making an effort. Thanks.

1 Like

Just getting started here. It’s going to take some getting used to. Here’s some things I’d like.

1. Dates/Times on the posts. All that is shown now is how long ago it was posted.
  2. Are all the threads going to just be one page long? Maybe there is a setting that I haven’t found yet to change that. But if there isn’t, there should be.
2 Likes

Infinite scroll is one of the best features and biggest selling points of the software. It’s a bazillion times better than having to constantly click and wait for new pages to load.

1 Like

I really have no idea about the technical details. All the threads on here are pretty short. I was just trying to imagine what happens if you have have like a 5k post thread. If having all 5k posts really doesn’t slow things down, I guess it’s not that bad.

I also like the pages, because sometimes when I want to go back to something that I read earlier (and it’s too generic for search function) I can generally remember roughly what page is was on or roughly what date it was posted. The new site has neither of these things.

I looked at another discourse forum and days ago posted changes to the date when posts are more than a month old. You can click on the days ago and see the date and time posted.

When people reply to an old post you can navigate to the post they replied to directly. That makes navigating subthreads inside really long threads much easier.