Fall LC thread

Nicola Sturgeon is by far our best leader in the UK atm… :wink: Alough I’m biased :sunglasses:

In my limited experience I think women make better managers than men, generally. I have a pet theory on why that may be the case, that I’ve held for a short period of time. I think in a society that prioritizes men over women when it comes to capabilities and leadership roles, and stuff like that, such that more often than not, a random man is just assumed to be good at things like leadership, management, or math or whatever, and where random women are not or even worse are assumed to be incapable of those things (and people are outright hostile to the idea of women as CEO, for example), then women operating under those societal conditions are forced to develop those skills to a higher degree as well as others in order to be successful or just survive. So the result, and what my anecdotal observations seem to support, is that women are much better on average at managing tough personalities and conflicts than the average guy. I don’t think this has much if anything to do with something inherent to their gender. I haven’t really mentioned this idea too much or talked about it with many women for concern of it being taken the wrong way, though.

It’s just Peleton’s turn for 5 minutes of hate from the internet. Pretty much any ad can get the same treatment. Let’s see what their sales are like after the holidays and check in on that valuation again.

How about not worrying about the gender at all?

If Peloton actually makes money right now then this won’t really effect them at all. Might actually help them, who knows. If they’re one of those companies that has a ten billion dollar valuation based on hand wavey future revenue maybe someday after they finish DISRUPTING FITNESS then it might actually hurt them.

edit: a cursory google search reveals that they don’t actually make any money. Sad!

edit2: wait they spend 1000 dollars in advertising for every bike they sell? ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha they’re fucked.

1 Like

Like not seeing race?

1 Like

Maybe there’s some of that, but not much. HRC was/is generally not liked. Warren’s stock fell a lot lately. Kamala, Klobs, and Kirsten were never popular. AOC is genuinely awesome. Anyone who doesn’t like her is broken.

1 Like

There’s a lot of it here, even to the extent of reading that most of our political problems will be solved if only we can have all-female cabinets etc.

AOC is an outlier obv.

There’s definitely a lot of free-floating positive sentiment for female politicians as an abstract idea - no bad thing in itself, but I’ve seen people wildly overstate the potential benefits. Gender parity in politics is a good thing because gender parity is a good thing, not because it leads to an amazing bounty of other good things just around the corner.

2 Likes

I’m not sure your last point is correct. I think there is a lot of strong evidence that gender parity does in fact lead to better outcomes in most situations.

Well yeah, I say they’re overstating the case, not that there’s nothing good can come of it. I maintain that the main reason to care about and seek gender parity is that it is a good in itself.

1 Like

I think allinflynn/crossnerd were making a good point if I understand it correctly. What is expected out of leadership is considered masculine and it’s bad. Women who become heads of state are not necessarily any different. That’s not the same thing at all as something like Rojava where women are more than represented* and the entire leadership culture is different.

*I think it’s a minimum of 40% women in every elected body, all top level positions are a man and a woman, and there are separate women’s only bodies with veto power.

This seems pretty plausible to me. Ijeoma Oluo talks about this in a chapter in her book So You Want to Talk About Race.

And I also think you’re right about

1 Like

Or not spending a couple of paragraphs explaining how shitty 2 whole female politicians have been then using it as an indication that no female politicians can be any good. So more like implying that all the AOC fans consider her “one of the good ones.”

1 Like

We’ll see, I’m seeing Nordic Trak adds for spin bikes that are essentially the same as Peleton ads…

I’m sure this is legit though.

is it like getting mouth to mouth from a vegan hipster or something?

I liked the Nordic Trak ones. They were still upper class white, but the tone was more inspirational, like “hey you can join us for a quick run by the Pantheon from the confort of your own home” vs blogger wife.

I don’t think that’s what happened but whatever, seems beside my point in any case.

1 Like

I’m not trying to stan for Peleton that much, they made an ad that got fan-fictioned into something they didn’t intend and are going to pay for it. It’s the idea that they are unique in that kind of lifestyle ad which I don’t care for.