Fall LC thread

I agree with the general sentiment but not the final conclusion.

People don’t believe in the scientific worldview solely due to authority figures. They believe if for two other very important reasons,

First we all saw these principles in action and we understood them on a basic level in school. Your examples are among the most abstract in science. Most of science is not nearly as complex or difficult to understand.

Second we can all see science work every day when we use our phones, go to the doctor and weed our gardens. We can see science work everyday. There is no science version of “God works in mysterious ways”.

3 Likes

Bad Bobman post.

Dial it back a little and describe faith in democracy, government and the rule of law as believing in fairly tales and you might have something.

The people who have “faith” in the consensus explanation for the creation of the universe among cosmologists, physicists, and astronomers don’t need to do the math. They are making rational assumptions based on good judgement and the best info they have.

4 Likes

State Senate leaders are backing a bill that would limit the governor’s power to name a Kentucky Transportation Cabinet secretary, essentially shifting that role to a citizen board nominated by influential business and government groups.

The newly created board would develop the first draft of the state’s two-year road budget and base it on an “objective scoring system.” The governor’s administration now creates the plan sent to legislators.

The gov is Democrat, the legislature Republican. The same thing that happens in all these gerrymandered states. A Democrat wins in a popular vote contest and the gerrymandered legislature that won a majority through a minority of votes strips him of power.

https://www.wdrb.com/in-depth/bill-would-strip-kentucky-governor-s-power-to-name-state/article_792d0f44-0fa1-11ea-b858-8f5001b2d491.html

1 Like

I am actually on Team Fairy Dust Theory Is Wrong. I don’t have a good competing theory, but it would not be the first time in the history of physics that a mystery mass has been postulated and assumed to be true when the correct answer was instead that there was simply physics we did not understand.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/Teresajane201/status/1199079241960304640?s=20

3 Likes

After careful consideration

And conceding some of what you said is not yet persuasive to Wookie and flat earthers

I nominate this for @BestOf

1 Like

Haven’t some Hungarians just claimed to have discovered evidence of a fifth fundamental force?

Flintstones though :grinning:

1 Like

This is just epistemically simplistic. If I tell you the sun rises because God wills it, you can’t point to the fact that the sun does indeed rise as evidence that I’m correct. But that’s what you’re doing with phones and so forth. The point is that there is some stage past which you are just believing something because a suitably credible person told you so. Occam’s Razor, parsimony and all the other heuristics for assigning credibility that can be rationally divined don’t change that. Things are so complex that it ultimately can’t work any other way.

I saw the headlines, but I haven’t investigated beyond that to see if they are full of shit or if this would weigh in on the dark matter debate.

How do you know the devil didn’t put those bones there to trick you? Didn’t think about that, did you

Meat bears ftw

I did see one theory that the Flinstones were in a post-apocalyptic, post-Jetsons time, not BC.

1 Like

Saturnalia and Juvenalia would like a word

This is the best thing I’ve read in years! I’ll never see it the same again

lol no

1 Like

All this talk of burials just prompted me to check what my parents have setup. I actually have papers right here at my desk that my dad gave me, outlining everything I need to know for when they die. Where all their shit is, doctors, home services, financials, etc.

They have burial plots and cemetery info, but doesn’t look like they picked out caskets. The funeral home director is their neighbor and friend, though, so if he’s still around at that time, I would guess it won’t be a hassle.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/11/here-are-5-one-liners-to-fight-back-against-your-right-wing-family-members-at-thanksgiving-dinner/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

1 Like

I’ve heard a fan theory that Columbo doesn’t actually have a wife, he’s just psychotic and imagines he has one.

1 Like

When I lived in NYC I once had a nice family from the midwest ask me for directions to Applebees. It made me really sad.

Are they the only thing outside in Australia that’s not trying to kill you?