Fall LC thread

Normally that gif would not be appropriate, but that is actually how I feel. What a loss.

https://mobile.twitter.com/matttomic/status/1203885718625562624

3 Likes

12 Likes

five syllables first
seven syllables second
five syllables last

2 Likes

If you just made that up not only @BestOf but send it somewhere, that deserves to be published imo, you’ve like surpassed all of Ogden Nash with that

2 Likes

well you are drunker than I if you think that was original

I am drunk and high but not yet drunker than you.

lol thanks. unless you’re making fun of me. hard to tell!

Never heard this guy. I like him!

I’ll drink to that

I’m sure it’s been done before, but I didn’t copy anyone. I was inspired by @fidgetUK’s haiku in keed’s thread.

2 Likes

Not making fun, it’s the best haiku I’ve ever read, although generally I have low opinion of the form, but yours is meta in the best way possible.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/1203729478129725441?s=19

Have to watch with audio on to truly appreciate.

9 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/investigations/afghanistan-papers/afghanistan-war-confidential-documents/

I’m just getting into this but it seems like the tldr is literally everyone in charge knew that Afghanistan was a losing effort that was a waste of time, money, and human lives, and they knowingly lied to the public about it for ~20 years.

4 Likes

This shit right here is why normal people’s reaction to liberals telling them that the government is going to fix something is to groan loudly.

Seriously anyone who has ever dealt with the federal government has experienced why so few people want them to directly run anything else. The stories about the VA do not inspire a great deal of confidence in Washington running a true single payer system.

I still think we need to give the federal government more power to get where we need to go… but part of that is acknowledging that there are some deeply broken parts of our system that need a full blown rework to be flatter and faster. There’s a lot of bloat now, and it’s not unreasonable for middle and upper middle class people who already pay quite a bit in taxes to expect government to become more efficient before it asks for more of their money.

We need to just leave Afghanistan and take our loss. We also need to cut back the military super hard and do some real soul searching on the true costs and benefits of our foreign policy spend. The Pentagon is long overdue to be sized correctly for the US’s actual defense needs, which are pretty minimal tbh. The rest of the world will probably be marginally worse off, but not as much as the military people are telling us they will be… and they won’t spend as much as we were spending on weapons.

“The government sucks, put us in charge and we’ll prove it.”

• Republicans
9 Likes

Idk about others’ experiences here, but I have found negotiating BCBS’ labyrinth of phone menus and clueless, disinterested “customer service” reps to be every bit as byzantine as any dealings I’ve had with SSA or IRS. I have found no discernible difference. At least I get the feeling, even if it’s imaginary, that I have some power to help solve the latter every four years with my vote.

3 Likes

Wat? Last I checked, numerous studies show the VA does a much better job than private hospitals.

I totally agree and have had similar experiences. I think the big takeaway from the last 40 years of the intentional corrosion of our institutions is that transparency is very important. Much more important than keeping the governments secrets.

I know it annoys skydiver because she knows that technical specs are the majority of the classified stuff out there (and she’s probably right about that) but I think we should blow up all the secrecy laws and force the government to be 10,000,000% more transparent.

The problem here is that people (in many cases justifiably) don’t trust the government. I think the best way to deal with that would be to put 99.999% of what the government does on the internet for everyone to see.