Fall LC thread

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1199158855386771458

The 30-50 feral hogs guy wasn’t totally off base.

2 Likes

So Mrs. Columbo just happens to also be psychotic and just imagines she has a husband? They make quite a pair.

When I took psych 101, I never imagined I’d still be working on getting out of the green some 40 fucking years later.

3 Likes

You’re not wrong, but I don’t think that sort of judgment cuts to the core of the judged at the same level as being judged as a mother. In our society, it is expected of mothers that it is their highest calling, and any shortcoming is considered a deep personal failing. That’s not quite the same thing as having achieved ill-gotten gains by way of good looks instead of merit. Yes, I expect plenty of women who are both meritorious and attractive have that complex, and understandably so, but I still think being a mother takes the complex to a whole new level.

1 Like

I think that’s true. If a woman abandons her child she gets far more flak than if a man does the same thing. The standards expected for women as mothers is so much higher than for men as fathers.

3 Likes

Maybe, but if your theoretical is only theoretical, is it really the model of mental health? I have yet to meet a person who is both sophisticated and impervious to the perception of others. We can perhaps wax poetic about how great it would be to be so, but I am unconvinced it is attainable. I would argue instead that mindfulness, along the lines of "I am aware of my feelings of feeling judged, and those feelings are negative. There are things I could have done better (x, y, and z), but on balance, I have achieved well, notably (a, b, and c). "

2 Likes

Agreed, and that judgment goes all the way down to little things to where the judgments even stop being mutually negative. Like, a woman with her kids at the grocery store is unnoticeable, but a man with his kids is a praiseworthy father. A man with his kid at the doctor’s office is a great dad, but where’s mom?

5 Likes

Mrs. Columbo never appears on stage and has no lines. It’s like she doesn’t exist at all! PS: no chance any wife lets him walk around in a raincoat looking like a bum.

Columbo never appears on stage and has no lines. It’s like he doesn’t exist at all!

Not cannon!

1 Like

My new “soldiers return home to their dogs” video is “color blind people get special glasses and see color for the first time.”

One guy said upon seeing flowers, “Why wouldn’t people have flowers all the time?”

3 Likes

I have an extreme problem with the yellow on that pyramid. I know this will surprise you that I hate most people and the feeling is mutual.

(yes, I’m joking on the surprise part)

1 Like

“Oh yeah? Well I had sex with your wife”

4 Likes

That’s why the Everly Brothers split up

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1199167890370510848?s=21

Google union busting. Employees wanted to unionize so Google hired a union buating firm. They then change the rules to make it to illegal to look a certain documents but never specify which documents. Union organizers and then fired for leaking and spying

https://medium.com/@GoogleWalkout/googles-next-moonshot-union-busting-7bd2784dc690

Re the pyramid, I think anything ordered around “needs” is essentially bullshit, because humans create more “needs” whenever their current ones are satisfied; “needs” are inherently an egotistical way of approaching one’s place in the world. A less egotistical way is approaching the world in terms of ways of interacting with it, there are any number of ways you can break that down, but one I like is Emily Esfahani Smith’s “Four Pillars of Meaning”:

Smith organizes her research into four pillars of meaning:

1) A Sense of Belonging , meaning relationships “where you really feel like you matter to others and are valued by them, and where you in turn treat others like they matter and are valued.”

2) Purpose , or “having something worthwhile to do with your time,” says Smith. “It’s this pursuit that organizes your life and involves making a contribution to others.” Smith writes and speaks about the best ways we can find purpose in our own lives. This includes locating our strengths and talents, what our unique perspective on the world is, and bringing that all together to give back.​

3) Transcendence , “those moments where you’re basically lifted above the hustle and bustle of daily life and you feel your sense of self fade away.” Transcendence, for a lot of people, is part of a religious pursuit, experienced through meditation, prayer, and other expressions of faith. But you can also experience it in nature, or at work, explains Smith.

4) Storytelling , the final pillar “surprised me in a lot of ways,” Smith says. “Storytelling is really about the story that you tell yourself about your life, about how you became you. It’s your personal myth.”

Note that, aside from perhaps the fourth one, these are not “what do I need to extract from the world” but rather “what are the modes in which I need to interact with the world”. Ideally you want something to put in all the columns here, but you need at least one to keep you going.

4 Likes

Not sure I really agree that the fourth one is required (it’s at odds with the third one imo), but it’s important to a lot of people.

Mrs. Columbo, later known as Kate Columbo, followed by Kate the Detective and then ultimately Kate Loves a Mystery is an American crime drama television series initially based on the wife of Lieutenant Columbo, the title character from the television series Columbo. It was created and produced by Richard Alan Simmons and Universal Television for NBC, and stars Kate Mulgrew as a news reporter helping to solve crimes while raising her daughter.

Katherine Kiernan Mulgrew (born April 29, 1955) is an American actress.

Lili Haydn (born 1969) … began her career as a child actress at the age of seven. She initially appeared in commercials and moved on to television and film roles. From 1979 to 1980, she played Jenny Columbo, daughter of Lt. Columbo and his ex-wife, Kate Columbo/Callahan (Kate Mulgrew) in the Columbo spin-off series Mrs. Columbo.

Peter Michael Falk (September 16, 1927 – June 23, 2011) was an American actor and comedian, known for his role as Lieutenant Columbo.

So Columbo knocked up a 14 year old when he was in his early 40’s?

HighlevelGenuineGorilla-size_restricted

1 Like

Earlier there was also this,

and this.

I thought people were doing a bit.