Fall LC thread

Not to pee in your corn flakes, but when I read about that incident (or an identical one) it was said the early warning systems were known crap and gave false alarms all the time, and were commonly ignored. I mean, good on all of them for not being complete blithering idiots, but the narrative that one man single-handedly saved the planet is overblown.

I can’t keep up with the site lately. This is an “About The Forums” comment, and obviously the site needs new people coming in as people fade out (or take their balls and go home), but I don’t think this thing would work at all with many more people.

Do you mean the amount of content? If so I agree, I’ve given up on certain threads. I can’t keep up. Seeing that there are 3k posts to read to catch up just totally turns me off.

idk why we folded the impeachement thread into the Trump megathread.

1 Like

I’ve had a similar thought, when we were talking about identity, goals, etc. back on Exiled. Basically, it wouldn’t be the same if this was as big as some of the subreddits. I think a lot of the value comes from “knowing” the posters and the history we share as a community. When there are thousands of posters that’s not as easy to achieve.

1 Like

2+2 was the only forum I’d ever seen where it’s normal to have mega-threads that run months and years, and we’ve duplicated that approach here without really questioning it.

I never bother trying to catch up on threads after I take a few days off for my sanity. I just skip to the last 50 posts or so.

2 Likes

Ok now I know why someone at work was going on about this…

Yeah, that, with the Trump impeachment stuff.

I don’t either. Some people found it confusing, but I didn’t get that. By the time I saw it, the thread had already been locked. Impeachment seems important enough for its own thread.

I think 50000-post megathreads are cool for the two seconds it takes you to say “cool, that’s a lot of posts,” then they’re counterproductive.

2 Likes

Not sure what you read but according to him he thinks his military by-the-book coworkers would have called it in, which could have resulted in a retaliatory strike (it would be up to the brass at that point). He even says he didn’t trust the new system. If you can find what you read I’d like to read it.

This

Agree, but maybe this is more a problem of too few threads. I’m not sure it makes sense to contain the entire Trump presidency - which is by far the most active topic on the forum - to a single thread. It’s intimidating to come home and see 300 new posts in a single topic.

4 Likes

Impeachment will be 90% of the Trump presidency from here on out. Don’t think it should be a separate thread.

1 Like

Voted no. Too much overlap. Harder to check both threads.

2 Likes

This

From a meta perspective, I’m actually more concerned about what happens to this community after Trump than how we categorize things during his Presidency. The ridiculousness of this administration is a huge driver of engagement in a way that a standard Dem Presidency wouldn’t.

Regarding the Trump thread, I agree that it’s probably too much–sometimes there are multiple conversations going on at the same time and it’s hard to follow. Problem is, I don’t have a better suggestion–Trump is so all-consumingly stupid that it’s often impossible to segregate things.

Also, having Trumpbot to yell at is pretty therapeutic.

Would support re-opening it if/when impeachment proceedings begin for specific, detailed discussion about the process and strategy. Until then, it’s way better to keep it all in one place IMO.

I always found it counterproductive to have megathreads. Why should discussion of Trump‘s immigration policy, Trump‘s Russian connection, emoluments, his attacks on the media and his views on Gun control all be in the same thread?
I don’t find it convincing that it is more convenient to have it all in one place. Having a dozen different conversations going on at the same time makes it harder to follow any of them. As we have seen in this thread some will just skip it all together rather than slog through it.

5 Likes

Hopefully we’ll migrate to the AOC thread and start trying to fix things.

(we had a dream)

2 Likes