Europa Universalis IV: The GOAT

This game company definitely includes slavery and genocide in their games.

Different game by the same company, Crusader Kings 2, you can be a Viking raider and take up to three sex slaves at a time as captives when you sack cities. This causes problems though because all 27 of your sons can inherit and the dumb Vikings don’t have primogeniture like a civilized society. Bad!

3 Likes

Fuck primogeniture. You want something where you can have 46 children and pick the best one to rule. Male or female preferably.

The vikings are straight up ridiculous. It turns out you can leverage a looting based economy into the greatest empire Europe has ever known… Scandinavia. The Christians do NOT become the dominant religion in Europe in that timeline. Not even close.

I’d like to play like a Seleucid and was worried for a second that mass slavery was unavailable to me

1 Like

I mentioned it in the other thread but there’s an extended timeline mod that you can install and play anywhere from ancient Pre-Roman times up through the year 9999. The Frankish Carolingians under Charlemagne had this system. If you don’t get the event to switch to primogeniture it causes a shitload of havoc when your ruler dies (in Charlemagne’s case I think the Frankish empire split into three separate kingdoms).

So just booting this thing up and it’s pretty intimidating. Is the in game tutorial the best place to start?

Also apparently it gave me an error about not having 512k of video memory but the game is still running so… not sure what to think about that.

1 Like

I’d watch that video Bored posted in the other thread before you even mess with it. There’s probably a wiki page or reddit thread worth reading on your chosen country as well

1 Like

If you buy a CK2 DLC (and I have, I’ve spent like $200+ on CK2 DLCs), then you can start in 769. Pepin’s kids are ruling half of western Europe each. And yeah they have Gavelkind, which is super annoying. I like playing as a count in Brittany as one of their vassals, I usually switch to elective monarchy right away. Half the time it seems like Charlemagne dies and the other half Carloman dies, if either one lives long enough sometimes they end up forming the Holy Roman or French empires, otherwise they die and all of Europe erupts in war. I like it better when it’s constant war.

CK2 is straight up free right now (not DLCs). Easier to get started than EU IV.

1 Like

CK2 is excellent. It’s what got me into paradox games. Can’t believe it’s been like 8 years now.

2 Likes

Elective monarchy is great until your vassals hate you. Usually you can get around it but when you can’t it’s just game over man, game over. Primogeniture sucks when you have a strong, very stable genius third son but it’s way more stable.

Tannistry ftw. Also if you reform a pagan religion you can take a trait that just lets you pick your successor outright I think… although that’s not as good as keeping all the traits and going tannistry.

I also tend to have nearly every lord in my kingdom be of my dynasty. Then the cream rises to the top lol. We’re a warlike people who generally solve our differences with duels lol.

That way usually your king has 30+ martial which if you really think about it is the only trait that matters. It’s a raiding based economy :rofl:

CK3 coming this year. Pumped.

Yup. The four games that have my attention for 2020 are: Cyberpunk 2077, Empire of Sin, Bloodlines 2, and CK3. Notice that 3/4 of those are from Paradox. They get a lot of my gaming budget.

EDIT: Just realized I forgot Mount and Blade 2. That too.

People on reddit are speculating that EU5 is just around the corner which is why the humble bundle is so insanely discounted, but I can’t really see that if they’re about to release a new CK

If they do release EU5 it’s going to have a hard time supplanting EU4 honestly. EU4 isn’t nearly as decrepit looking as CK2. It’s got another couple of years left in it at least.

I agree, and also they’re competing for the exact same audience for the most part with the two games so it doesn’t make any business sense

I suspect this Humble is designed to do exactly what it’s doing in this thread… bring in a bunch of new players as close to fully updated as possible. I suspect a 80-150 dollar price tag has kept a lot of people out over the last few years. A lot of people ITT are going to buy the next DLC for full price who wouldn’t have before. Also the marginal cost of software is 0 dollars, so all these 17 dollar pops add up.

I’m also looking forward to the unstuck CK3 multiplayer game/discord server in the middle of 2020. Cheap EU4 is going to sell a bunch of copies of CK3 I expect.

1 Like

Yeah if you like war you would like that kind of inheritance then because that’s what you’ll have. I just thought it sucked, yesterday I had this massive well-developed world power and today I’m going to war to reconquer land that should be mine anyway

Alternatively you can just assassinate your siblings while you’re still their heir. High intrigue is worth a lot there. In some pagan cultures you can also demand a duel to the death for all the titles. This is hands down my favorite option where no matter who wins I get all the land back.

CK2 really isn’t like EU4 though. It isn’t about land (other than a core duchy which always has max holding and max buildings) so much as it’s about being a medieval lord RPG.

2 Likes

Tanistry, lol. Sure next time I play an Irish tribal guy I’ll look into it. Straight feudal for me homie.

One of my favorite CK2 games was when this asshole Viking guy kidnapped my married daughter when her idiot husband’s castle got sacked by this dude. Fucker took her as a concubine and the option popped up to start a war to free her. I was a superduke in Brittany, loyal to a French king. This dude was from some shithole country up in Scandinavia, Finland or something. My daughter was married to an English duke who let his castle get sacked, what an asshole. So now my daughter is a goddamn sex slave in Finland, wtf.

So I start a war to free my daughter with this guy. I beat his army and then he executes my daughter in retaliation. What an asshole. I beat another army of his and capture him. I’m at 100% war score but I don’t accept peace. I sack all his fucking mud huts and capture a bunch of his kids and his wife. I execute all his children and wife and then execute him, then end the war. Jerkface.

1 Like