Europa Universalis IV: The GOAT

Hahaha this is the point of ck2. You can get tannistry as a Viking I’m pretty sure. I could be thinking of some other variant though.

OK, now that I’ve figured out how to move armies around and stuff, I’m gonna play as some Malaysians for a while and try to figure out some of the basic game mechanics.

Besides all these points, different tech groups have access to different troop types. Latin (Western Christian) units are awful early on but eventually become superior. Muslim troops are slightly better iirc than what Castile would start with

1 Like

And that’s why I like CK2 and I kinda bailed on EU4, although I’m sure it’s a good game. I like the RPG aspect of CK2 and that just isn’t there in EU4. Like if you were just concerned about amassing more power in CK2 you’d just ignore your daughter being turned into a sex slave. It doesn’t actually matter at all. But with the RPG aspect you’re playing as this guy and you’re all ahhhhhh hell no not on my watch motherfucker. What would Tywin Lannister do.

Tywin Lannister would ignore ainec. I haven’t played it much but I’ve heard the got mod for ck2 is incredible.

1 Like

wat? He started a huge war because a son he despised was taken captive. “He’s a Lannister! He may be the lowest of the Lannisters but he’s one of us. Every day he remains a prisoner, the less our name commands respect.” You think that he would let Cersei be kidnapped and held as a sex slave? He would kill them all.

2 Likes

She’s a woman. Obviously his decision making would be based largely on his reach and the power level of the people who took her. Tywin would do whatever was absolutely best for his overall power level IMO.

1 Like

OK I got a newbie question here: I am playing as the Arawak Indians and I’ve just beaten the daylights out of the Carib Indians and I want to take over their spot but the game doesn’t want to let me? Like, I want to demand they give up the territory but the game is like “nah?” How do I annex this territory?

lol trolly why are you cutting teeth on these scrub nations

1 Like

expanding too fast can trigger the AI into ganging up on me right? What stat governs this?

it’s only 1460 with ottomans and I already got a lot of hungary, serbia, and a handful of other small countries. I’m wiping everyone out and my economy/mp/unrest is manageable and I want to expand more, is this some mistake that only a vet would know or do I just start plowing through africa now

It’s a few years old but this still applies. It goes into how coalitions form against you and how to prevent it:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/5njq2u/why_the_entire_world_is_aginst_you_a_beginners/

And yeah, if you have a lot of aggressive expansion in Europe, go fight in Africa. Countries in a different region (continent?) won’t care about you blobbing countries which aren’t their neighbors.

cool. The ottomans are really easy. I’m taking in sick profits even during war, my stability is +2, I’m not behind in tech, and I’m at the force limit and mp cap. The only thing that concerns me is the religion stuff because I don’t understand it and like half my nation is not the preferred religion.

Wrong religion isn’t a big issue, Ottomans get +3 tolerance of heathens and you can take humanist ideas for more + tolerance, reducing any revolt risk or penalties from lack of tolerance. Dhimmi estate also increases tolerance. You still have higher cost to increase stability, but thats not a big issue.

Alternatively, you can pick religious ideas and convert

Played last night and let me just say this doesn’t seem like the optimal game to play after eating a fistful of edibles. I think I have the basic game mechanics down some but I do have a very simple question. Let’s say I am playing as Scotland which I tried last night. What am I supposed to be doing when I start the game? Building economy or army?

Within like 6 months I was needing to borrow money. So I said fuck it and I just built some units and then declared war on England. It didn’t go well.

Starting simple, learning lots of the gameplay mechanics the tutorial doesn’t explain. Plus I want to see how it plays out when the Spanish show up and wreck shop.

Seems like doing some missions is a thing to try if you don’t know what you’re supposed to be doing.

Are Missions the “ideas”? Or is that something totally separate? On the page that pulls up with the tree of events to go for every single one had reasons why I couldn’t do it?

The things inside the trees are the Missions

“Ideas” can refer to either National Ideas and Idea Groups. Idk why they don’t do better distinguishing between the two. It’s confusing.

National Ideas are unique to your nation. They can change if you form a new nation; for example Castile has certain national ideas which aren’t necessarily the same as Spain’s. You unlock these automatically (mostly) as your game progresses. When you read a Reddit post or whatever talking about a country’s “ideas” this is usually what they’re referring to.

Idea Groups are common to every nation based on which ones you select. These are broken down into Administrative, Dilpomatic and Military idea groups. That’s stuff like Humanism, Religious, Offense, Trade, and so on. You get these by spending monarch points, sometimes colloquially referred to as “mana.”

If you’re not in war or preparing for one, set your army maintenance to the lowest value and mothball your forts. Set your light ships to protect trade. Don’t go over force limits. Only hire advisers if you can afford it.

Following those steps you should have a positive balance in peace times.

Either mothball your forts or reduce army maintenance… but not both imo.