Europa Universalis IV: The GOAT

You have to get admin tech level 5 to get your first idea group. In 1460 there’s still plenty of time for the event to fire I think. Your first idea group is exploration because you’re Castile basically. Other countries have choices, Castile does not IMO.

In future playthroughs prioritize getting marriage/alliances with burgundy because of events that happen. You still might get them if you aren’t allied to them, but it’s way more likely if you are. This is a GOOD event.

Iberian Wedding can happen as late as 1530 iirc

Bought this game but I opened it up and was all nope like halfway through the tutorial. I like CK2 and HOI4 but this seems too involved.

If you can play HOI4 this is not too involved. Jesus christ I’m in logistics and I found it a bit annoying lol.

Boo, I bought it on a whim this morning having never played any of these games, and now I’m predicting that I end up in this boat.

Nah, it’s really not as difficult as it looks, I thought the same thing the first few hours and was proven wrong by the end of my first run

2 Likes

I only play small countries in HOI4. My favorites are Greece, Holland and Czechoslovakia. Germany or the US or the UK is wayyyyyy too involved. And I like staying a smallish kingdom in CK2, or even being a loyal vassal duke. Although that always ends with a less powerful than me king doing something that basically forces me to revolt.

I think boredsocial was talking about the Burgundian inheritance.

Yeah in a really good Castile game you’re getting both the Wedding and the Burgundian inheritance. That combined with the crazy colonial game makes you a bigger super power than the Ottomans by 1500 super frequently.

Having the most trade power in Genoa + the English Channel and all the trade power from Mexico, the Carribean, and West Africa? Plus gold mines in central and south America?

It’s a lot of money. A whole lot of money. Then your missions let you PU Portugal, England, and Austria because why not? Oh and who doesn’t want claims on all of Italy on top of that lol.

Basically Castile is OP and a good choice for getting big achievements off an empire that is much too large for me to find fun to manage anymore.

Well hell, I never got the Burgundian Inheritance in my Castile run. Feels like I really missed out. I was thinking of doing an Aragon run soon, you get that event as Spain right?

Would this potentially be a good fit for an eleven-year-old boy who loves Age of Empires and history-based grand strategy games in general?

Outstanding. This is everything an educational game should be tbh. It’ll take him some time to get the hang of it (possibly months) but he’ll learn a lot and have a blast. Truly a learning experience disguised as a video game.

Thank you! Just gotta check with his mom, but sounds like this will be a proper Uncle gift :blush:

Anyone else getting an fail to install error with most of the dlc in the bundle?

I had no issues on pc

I did back when I first installed. It was because Steam hadn’t been updated in a while in my case. I reset my PC and it auto updated on boot and it worked fine after that.

How does this lolgame handle the question of slavery, or does it conveniently ignore it altogether?

1 Like

It’s a trade good in Africa. There are options to abolish it when certain things get met at which point those African provinces get new trade goods.

This is unfortunately pretty historically accurate imo. If you want to resist the colonizers I had a lot of fun turning the Aztecs into a super power… although I’ll admit it wasn’t by being nice.

1 Like

Some countries have it at the beginning. ETA bored is correct, slaves are trade goods rather than an institutional economic driver. Random events fire where you can keep it or abolish it

Yea you gotta make some pretty horrible decisions but it’s just a game. You should see how i’ve been handling those damn sunni rebels