English Premier League & Other Club Football Thread

Theyre losing Cavani, Pogba, mata and Lingard for free in the Summer. Ronaldo probably forces a move to a team in the Champions league. Greenwood is likely done as a pro until his court case I assume.

That’s already a lot to replace, and you also have Rashford entering the last year of his deal wanting to leave. Then you have the players who just aren’t good enough.

All you really have to build around is Elanga, Bruno and Sancho. That’s grim.

not the most active thread but jesus fucking christ this semi just got struck by lightning

(pulling for city here—unless they’re facing messi then I generally root for prem teams in europe, and also I’d rather city finally bink a CL especially if it stops liverpool from the mfing quadruple because if that happens then kill me in the neck)

fun half hour incoming, here’s hoping they don’t play safety-first pattycake

2 Likes

This game is incredible

2 Likes

god what a downer, pool and madrid are two of the only five or six hundred teams I can’t stand, hell of a game but a ghastly week all around. If tottenham lose to arsenal then to a monastery I go

2 Likes

other than how spurs completely imploded at st james’ the last day of 2016, I’ve always had a nice feeling about newcastle. I’m american and have no real understanding of different parts of the UK, but the geordie stereotype has always seemed low-key charming; friendly people in a pretty city with grey skies and kicky accents who love bantering about sports while stuffing their faces with fish & chips & pies & pints? what’s not to like? spray tans?

So the Saudi Arabia stuff seems tough, like an uncommonly cursed match of ownership and fan culture. But there’s a part of me that’s like, what are the fans supposed to do? it’s hard to hate on folks getting excited for suddenly being one of the richest teams in the world. That your once-proud team might be fun to watch again and could succeed on a scale that also raises the profile of your home? Totally get it. But then, lol, did you see the newcastle away kits for next season? Out of nowhere they are plain bright white with green accents: essentially they’re the Saudi Arabian national team uniforms.

And you just know that newcastle fans of a certain mindset, I mean there they are at the pub, buzzing about their changing fortunes, clinking bottles under framed pictures of big ships, talking themselves into it, and then they see those uniforms, and their heart sinks. They know that it’s just one of many cringes to come, the bargain they’ve been forced to make. And cognitive dissonance sucks, especially when it’s so topical and spicy and public. And I say all this knowing that I’ll be part of the problem too, e.g. I’ll be outraged and brainstorming MBS jokes with all the other hypocrites the first time newcastle swipe some high-priced transfer away from tottenham. But deep down I feel for those newcastle fans! It might not make sense to Mr. Spock but imo it’s totally normal and healthy to want to identify with your favorite sports teams in a meaningful way.

3 Likes

fuck yeah posted that and sixty seconds later: arsenal heartbreak

1 Like

so spurs just need to draw at Norwich

fuckin a

1 Like

yep and while no-romero spurs are clearly capable of giving up some dumb goal in the 10th minute and then spending the next 85 playing two touch around the box with one shot on target, the good news is that in most worlds where spurs choke to norwich arsenal also figure out a way to faceplant v everton

1 Like

Get in Son!!

Sucks this mediocre Spurs team will get 4th, but Arsenal have been playing backups and kids for about 3 months.

Lol salt salt salt

I’m a little salty Spurs stayed healthy down the stretch while Arsenal gave multiple starts to Rob Holding, Nuno Tavares, Cedric Soares, Mohammed Elneny, Eddie Nketiah. None of these players start for team not in the relegation battle right now, yet have started most Arsenal matches of late.

If you took out 5 Spurs starters they don’t get 4th.

I don’t know dick about song culture but man on the ARSENAL GET BATTERED song, after three repeats of the regular chant then they should add a soaring chorus to the tune of the OLE OLE song, but where the words are WHERE THEY GOOOOOOO, EVERYWHERE THEY GOOOO, WHERE THEY GOOOOO, EVERYWHERE THEY GOOOOOOOO. Then repeat the soaring chorus once, then go back to the regular ARESENAL GET BATTERED for three, then soaring chorus twice more. I just sang it like this ten times in my apartment i’m telling you it never gets old. By soaring chorus I mean if the regular ARSENAL GET BATTERED song ends on a C, then the WHERE THEY GOOOOOO should go C - E - GGGGGGGGGG etc.

2 Likes

PS aoFrantic while it’s true I left 2p2 along with everybody else because the politics stuff was so wtf, I miss the days where the english soccer thread was popping off. And maybe it still is? Tons of good posters were there including you and of course baids and I always liked xXDeuce7Xx and way too many others to name. But for me the thread had been trending down because so many quality spurs posters had bailed and because two of the highest-volume spurs posters were elrazor and stu: Stu is a very bad poster. And knowing whenever spurs were making me happy they were also making stu happy was making me less happy. Lads…it’s stu. He’s making the same joke again

It’s bad, basically no one left. I have a posting problem so tried reddit but it’s all teenagers. People asking how good Henry, Bergkamp, Fabregas were makes me feel old.

https://twitter.com/BenDinnery/status/1511354842463285255?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1511354842463285255|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.watfordobserver.co.uk%2Fsport%2F20049285.watford-third-worst-21-22-premier-league-injury-rate%2F

Arsenal mediocre af if Tottenham is. Tottenham has been solid since getting getting the manager sorted out.

Mediocre in the context of a 4th place team, not like “hey that team is going to finish 10th.”

Everton have spent the last 3-5 years signing 28-30 year olds with a past history of injuries. Their situation is not all bad luck, it’s 5 years of poor strategy.
Treating all injury absences as equal is also silly. If Son does his ACL tomorrow you’re finishing 9th next year whereas if Skipp does the same, who cares.

And yes, once you get past the starters/usual subs on Arsenal they are very mediocre. Their two leading goal scorers this season are 20 years old!

I’m just hoping Arsenal loses again honestly

Other than that magical champions league run a few years ago it’s been a steady stream of heartbreak.

I fully expect both games to
End like the day man city won their first
Title

I post once a year to say happy St Fuck Arsenal day

See y’all Sunday.

Caesars Michigan has a boost on the heartbreak parlay. So I bet $10 on Norwich and Arsenal to win