English Premier League & Other Club Football Thread

What the’ve been sitting this whole time on their arses during the Covyear and let the club rot like this, motherfuckers.

1 Like

Aussie bloke might be worth a punt. I quite liked what I read about him.

Unrelated: Ancelotti’s done one on the Toffees and returned to Madrid.

2 Likes

Every new manager is a bit of a punt though. You’re never sure if they’ll be a good fit.

This is the peak of silly. Arsenal need a manager they can build a 3-5 year plan with around their youngsters, not someone who would fuck off to madrid at the first opportunity.

The biggest problem at Arsenal post Wenger is a revolving door among people making decisions. They need structure and stability, Carlo would have been maybe the second worst option after Mourinho.

Lol I did not say they had a great squad at the beginning of the season. I picked them to finish 5th. They ended up with the 6th best metrics (Brighton were 5th), but the early season injuries derailed them.

I said they had the best record of anyone bar City since Xmas. That is an actual fact. They picked up the second most points in the league post Xmas. I dont know why you always want to argue facts when they are not on your side.

I repeatedly, exasperatingly so because when in talks with you it’s best to repeat the same thing 5x until it perhaps might sink in that I did not think Arsenal had a better squad than Liverpool, Chelsea, United or City. Just that over a certain time period, they had better results than 3/4.

Of course Arsenal had a project! Anyone who has even played 5 minutes of FIFA, never mind pretends to know about the game knew this! Their squad was assembled by Wenger, Gazidis, Emery, Raul and Vinai (and now Arteta). A ton of different hands leading to an unbalanced team with a ton of overhaul needed. Carlo is a manager you get if you want results in the next 2-3 seasons. Not if you are rebuilding. He isn’t one to focus on youth and bring them up.

I frequent on a fantasy sports based forum, (mostly football) , and we have a rule there about not allowing my-team-is-better-than-your-team posts/back-and-forths and it has made for a better experience for everyone for many years. Adopting a similar approach here I suspect would have similar results :soccer:

2 Likes

The weird thing is that such has never even happened. I made a few posts about Arsenal having good results and metrics over a period. I just posted objective facts, then Marty twisted those objective facts into opinions I do not have and has now posted about it for half a year. It is utterly bizarre.

I have had to say “I did not say that and do not agree with that” about a dozen times.

Best we all agree to this before Euro 2020 starts.

0-1

Guess who?

It’s a riot, should be 2 nil up easily

Oh dear and he’s gone now anyways :angry:

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/CelticFC/status/1400348248318095362

1 Like

I really really hate that shirt sponsors exist :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

(and don’t get me started on animated pitchside ad hoardings)

2 Likes

i’m amazed that england beat america to plastering ads on the players themselves

Postecoglou to Celtic seems like a pretty stark fall from Rodgers. Pretty unremarkable Aus national team manager and then fresh from the mighty Japanese league

1 Like

Seem to remember another obscure manager coming straight from the Japanese league into the PL a couple of decades ago. Didn’t seem to do too badly.

It’s not evidence of ability but it’s not a black mark against his name either imo.

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/CelticFC/status/1402898208913829889

https://mobile.twitter.com/ETimsNet/status/1402903474631843842

The whole PL agent thing is a huge turn off for me. It’s got to the point where we’re supposed to gaf who a player’s agent is, and I really don’t…though I do understand it’s become an important part of the whole circus and gives bloke-in-pub something to blather on about to sound more knowledgeable.

Some done deals - where selling club, buying club and player are all happy - fall through because of exorbitant agent fees.

They need firm regulation.

I think he coached the other Melbourne team so not even that