English Premier League & Other Club Football Thread

https://mobile.twitter.com/KuperSimon/status/1384587075115233284

1 Like

I’m warming to this Neville fella

Former Manchester United defender Gary Neville speaks on Sky Sports: "It’s done, it’s finished. They’ll have PR teams and comms teams scrambling now trying to make this look as lovely as possible.

“Florentino Perez may have a £100m fine. I hope so. I hope he has them on a massive fine to withdraw the lot of them and I hope they basically end up eating each other.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/AFCAjax/status/1384608703211524097

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1384627637394591749

Do you think you can leave your covid thread MO out of here and communicate like a functional human being please? All you’re achieving here is pissing off people who want to have fun and talk about football and maybe celebrate the end of this godawful idea.

Go and troll one of the sports threads where you might understand something about the game.

1 Like

Firstly, European football does need some change in terms of finances and competition. It just shouldn’t be done by the top to hoard money and close the doors behind them.

I think the lessons learned won’t be not to try this again, but they instead learned what people got angry about and what people were fine with.

I really don’t like the ESL and resent the forces that even make it a conversation

that said, I thought the Michael Cox article in The Atlantic made some good points. And this won’t be popular here but there’s a part of me that thinks that if travel wasn’t a thing then where I wish this would end up is abolishing all the top domestic leagues in europe (or better the world!) and having one Great Pyramid that went oh say twenty divisions deep before funneling off into domestic subziggarauts

oh and also Mourinho was always a shitty fit for spurs; Levy has been flailing around for a couple years but for me TSO was his single worst decision. It sort of doesn’t matter though, if Tottenham are never going to really spend then they are what they are

Bournemouth aren’t a perfect example because they were in the 80-100% of revenue on wages group. They were close to going into administration last I checked.

Obviously the ESL would eliminate even the concept of parity. But uefa saying Galatasaray or Celtic qualifying for the CL makes them competitive with madrid or bayern is also a joke.

Maybe they should run it more like the FA Cup with prequalification rounds for tiny teams and more established sides joining in round 3 or whatever, and keep it knock out but two legs apart from the final.

That way everyone can dream of winning it but we don’t have tedious group stages that rarely surprise anyone.

Fans have wanted Kroenke and the Glazers out for a long time.

Kroenke literally moved the Rams from St Louis to Los Angeles. He does not care about fan reaction. The protests and even local government actions did not stop that move.

But that makes it even less likely imo, because the owners are thousands of miles away from protests. English fans aren’t rocking up to LA to knock on his door. And NFL fans are every bit as emotional as epl ones.

Have no data to back it up, but would guess the debt from the new stadium handcuffs spurs more than a little bit.

FYI Jal I played against some Celtic FC guys in 2007 for a practice while they did an American tour that year. Don’t remember anyone there (def wasn’t starter level guys), but it was a good time. I’m happy to talk soccer.

The clubs getting any punishments or just business as usual? Would be hilarious if they were all banned from next year’s UCL.

1 Like

I would be quite surprised if there were punishments on clubs. You saw a bunch of resignations of club officials.

Me too. Especially in Spain/Italy where the leagues (outside of ESL clubs) are far weaker.

https://mobile.twitter.com/shanetodd/status/1384601468150243332

4 Likes

It’s not as if the American influence hasn’t been discussed many tomes over the past decade or so. Maybe now you’ll both stop stanning for these fuckers.