English Premier League & Other Club Football Thread

There’s rumors in the twitterverse Mourinho was sacked for refusing to take the team onto the training ground due to the super league stuff

I wasn’t talking about greed but about having a sense of a club’s history which is what’s important to the fans, which let’s face it Johnny come lately Yank or oil owners don’t know or give a fuck about.

1 Like

Most likely the cowardly little shit saw the writing on the wall and used the opportunity to get himself sacked over something not related to their 7th position with their goal scorer injured.

Well Jal, whatever you’re “talking about”, I’m sure that brits and euros can still do it just fine.

(And greed is still involved in leaving those traditions behind, come on man)

Yes ikes - hard for people physically remote to understand what matters to fans here, I know. That’s also the problem with the current crop of owners, as I was saying.

2 Likes

The majority of stuff pre 92 has already been scrubbed, this will just be the same effect.

But you’re seeing that owners don’t value a local fan more than a paying subscriber in LA or Hong Kong.

1 Like

The jingoism is truly hilarious. As if British soccer is so special that no one else could truly understand. You sound like a Paul Finebaum caller talking about the SEC.

Does it matter that it doesn’t fit the basic fact pattern of how the league came to be? Nah, but we all know it couldn’t be brits or euros at all. It’s those dirty foreigners.

Not for people here over the age of 40, but of course it will be at some point.

But that kind of is the point. You aren’t marketing the game exclusively to British males 45 and over. That is a tapped out market.

I assume the creation of the PL caused a similar anger. But it was the right move.

Can you take your trolling back to the covid thread please where at least you seem to understand the issues involved?

I’ll post where I want thanks.

Shit just got weirder. UK uber free market supporting government gets involved and Boris fucking Johnson talks about communities.

LOOOL

“These clubs are not just great global brands – of course they’re great global brands – they’re also clubs that have originated historically from their towns, from their cities, from their local communities, they should have a link with those fans, and with the fanbase in their community. So it is very, very important that that continues to be the case.”

There you go, ikes. Capiche?

So you’re representing the entirety of UK and euro land with Boris Johnson. Fair enough I concede.

Weak troll. Bye.

It’s funny the government clearly was blindsided and their comments show they hadn’t even read the reports.

The ESL also proposed more money to local pyramids and women’s games than the status quo.

1 Like

Honestly don’t care too much about those things.

I think I’m not supporting this beyond thinking it would be cool to see a league with such high profile matches every week.

The thing that gets me is how it seems like such a logical endpoint for euro soccer. Big teams coalescing together to ensure their dominance has huge financial incentives behind it. Even if this doesn’t pan out this idea won’t die.

It’s basically bound to happen. The current system sucks and makes barely anyone happy. The new system wouldn’t be much better, might be worse, but would make certain people more money.

Like, it’s just better to have Arsenal and Spurs in the CL over Krasnodar and Midjyitlland for neutrals and for competitive purposes.

I’m still leaning towards this being some epic bargaining tactic but dispute over fan nationalism aside, although I feel the driving factor is the expansion of non European markets, I feel like this is just going to be so unhealthy at a grassroots level in the long term. But ah well this is 2021 nobody cares about 2022 and onwards.

1 Like

I thought so too yesterday, but the 12 clubs have all resigned their positions from the European positions.

1 Like

And looking at European rugby could be an indicator of the future of the ESL and domestic leagues. Half the good teams dgaf about domestic competitions, especially when European games are coming up.

Edit: though maybe that isn’t too far from the status quo with the UCL