English Premier League & Other Club Football Thread

Christie looks decent.

Canā€™t believe weā€™re not winningā€¦

The Refs a **** & Charlie is a *****

:roll_eyes:

Nice og

I avoided mentioning it. It was crap when players left us. I remember when Stapleton went to Utd - it was horrible and weā€™ve lost much better players than him since.

Tierneyā€™s a quality LB but his character and determination are what sets him apart. Future club captain if he stays fit and any one of 3 or 4 clubs donā€™t turn his head.

1 Like

I donā€™t think Arteta will be at the club if itā€™s still finishing 8th in 2-3 years.

You can still have Charlie Nicholas back if you want.

Iā€™m astonished how bad he has been for you lot to be fair. Not stanning for him in any way, but he was rock solid at Brighton. Having said that he was in a back four alongside Dunk, and was being coached by Chris Hughton who definitely knew how to organise a team.

I think I mainly just liked him because he was part of the Banana Splits back4

Bruno, Dunk, Duffy and Bong

of the many many things that the non-american sportsworld does better than we do, this is one of my favorites

for non-spurs fans I guess seeing jose bungle this would be maximum delicious, which, yes, I definitely get that

saw this headline today: ā€œMarine sign another clubā€™s manager to play in FA Cup tie vs Tottenhamā€;
which gave me the feeling that we are entering Act 3 of a Stallone movie;
such a bummer they canā€™t pack their stadium to the rafters

4 Likes

Make yourself comfortable Maureen.

2 Likes

Something very dodgy about the whole deal. Ashley had never spent a bean in 15 years then from nowhere lashes out 40million on a striker nobody had ever heard of, who is absolutely awful. the whole thing stinks to high heaven

Joelinton is also undroppable apparently, plays every week without fail, never produces a thing.

1 Like

I see it more and more in football now.

Pepe cost more than 70M and weā€™d maybe get 30M for him.

Willian, a player well into his 30s, was given a 3 year deal on massive wages that even CFC wouldnā€™t give him.

Letā€™s just say some decision makers at some clubs are way too close to some agents.

Yeah youā€™re right about all of that.

My point was about paying double what a playerā€™s worth because of who the agent knows.

Obviously only applies where the owner is clueless about football or the owner is involved in transfers.

1 Like

Also a 6 year deal!

Reminds me of the young CB CFC went all in on because they wanted to build their whole defence around him - Bogarde.

Paid him such high wages over such a long contract that he thought ā€œAh fuck playing football, Iā€™ll just toss it off and be a multi millionaireā€ lol.

Once it was clear he had no interest they tried to force him to leave by making him play football with kids but he just went along with it and drew his wages.

Yeah Iā€™m not watching, Iā€™ve not got enough time left to waste watching our mob. Its gone from from feeling really part of something tangible under Rafa, even with Ashley still at the helm, to utter non football under Bruce, Itā€™s appalling

1 Like

Pepe was the hottest prospect that Summer. Most thought he was going for 45-60m, we paid 72. Heā€™s been bad since so we think heā€™s worth less, but there were plenty of articles linking him to Bayern for 50m before we signed him.

True, and part of the problem has been our need to have someone come in and make an immediate impact, so he hasnā€™t got the run of games he needed.

Signing a 32 year old PL performer playing in the same position on massive wages said a lot. That Willianā€™s been such an abject failure but still got a start in most games until Sakaā€™s switch made it impossible for Pepe to adapt. But still not worth anything like 72M.

Though you can say the same about Maguire and others (obviously the English premium applies to him).

Willian has been unbelievably awful, but ESR/Martinelli were hurt, Reiss Nelson could use a loan imo and he put up good numbers last year.

I still think you could get 40 from Pepe from a team like Napoli, and if you remember 4 years ago we were trying to sell Sanchez and were moments away from spending 80m on Thomas Lemar, who has done even worse since.

So with Lemar and Pepe, our scouting has just really overrated a type of player.