English Premier League & Other Club Football Thread

He was a beast signing to make on FM about 4 years ago?

Well Spurs look like shit. Aaronson looks great though.

Donā€™t like how Adams has struggled a bit against Kane, probably not good for a few weeks.

1 Like

Canā€™t say enough about Aaronson. Here he is looking 100% like a mid table premier league player. Iā€™ve doubted this kid as a try-hard type his entire career going back to his time at Philly. Good for him.

2 Likes

Bananas game alert for spurs-leeds

Seriously 0-1, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2, 2-3, 3-3, 4-3

How that first Spurs goal stood I shall never know. Good game but weā€™re so bad defensively. Coops had a nightmare, but heā€™s slow and the system Jesse uses just allows us to get overloaded so easily that our slow middle is constantly exposed. We concede the same goal every game. Itā€™s comical.

3 Likes

Arsenal top at the break and Xmas.

I remember Marty going insane when I said we were 2 or 3 players away from being title contenders this summer.

Still Cityā€™s to win, but Arsenal could push them and a 5 pt gap here would really help. City should have possibly lost or dropped points the last 3 matches now.

1 Like

The lineup that Chelsea threw out there today was the worst league lineup from them Iā€™ve ever seen in my brief time of fandom after going to London Sept 2018. I donā€™t think it was even close to the second worst.

Still mad about the Meslier tackle, though likely Leeds lose anyways. Team needs to figure out how to hold leads (pun intended). Need to buy defenders, change their shape, have actual decent bench players to keep intensity or whatever. Not working right now. That being said anyone without rose tinted glasses would easily take their start to the season given the quality of the roster and uncertainty of the coachā€™s ability

1 Like

damn I wasnā€™t able to watch spurs game until rn, Iā€™ve been like middle-aged neo all day trying to dodge potential spoilers, mostly self-inflicted because internet muscle memory gravitationally compels me to click to the spoiler placesā€”Iā€™m sure weā€™ve all been there! Really glad I wasnā€™t though, that was super entertaining.

CN: Agreed on Aaronson (and ooo I loved in the Liverpool game when he triggered Robbo). I think Lloris had a sneaky bad game btw; he wasnā€™t explicitly to blame for any goals, but might have done better on all three. Imo Lloris started the season very well but since the clunker at arsenal heā€™s been shaky (e.g terrible consecutive games vs toon and sporting CP). I still really root for him but yes am excited for the next generation of spurs keeper who I hope has great distro to who I hope are hugely upgraded WBs. (UDOGIE has been fire in Italy this year canā€™t wait)

Spurs fourth was one of their best team goals in a while. Obv Deki made a gorgeous touch around Koch, but let history & the streets remember that the play was in part sprung by an incisive pass by sanchez of all people. God spursā€™ defense has been so wobbly.

anyway my biggest fear today was that dier or hojbjerg or the force ghost of romero would splinter some noble americanā€™s shining shin into pottery shards so Iā€™m glad that didnā€™t happen. Man itā€™s so fucking weird that the WC is going to start in five minutes. Nothing much to say there; by now Iā€™m guessing this threadā€™s collective contempt for FIFA is beyond rivermaniacal

1 Like

Also
https://twitter.com/xGPhilosophy/status/1591475683888447488

https://twitter.com/xGPhilosophy/status/1591514741650120704

:joy:

Watched the whole game, just two games in a row where Chelsea basically never looked like scoring.

Right now itā€™s as bad an offense as Wolves.

yeah I noticed XG and player ratings were all over the place today depending on the model; understat had it Spurs 2.58 to Leeds 1.72 (but ok understat also had Newcastle 1.36 to Chelsea 0.36 so fair enough). Spurs game was a surprise insofar as from the 10th minute everybody watching knew that game was gonna have at least six goals in it. Iā€™m just catching up on the day, didnā€™t even know city lost until a second ago. Arsenal deserves tons of credit for hanging in there to this point; I donā€™t see it lasting all season for them but the WC is a huge wildcard and when it comes to arsenal my reversehopium is a full-on dennis hopper blue velvet situation

2 Likes

Pulisic was meh. Adams got a 2nd yellow late lol

Aaronson looked good, but Iā€™m thinking I like Wales on the 21st

Itā€™s still City, but the recent run of their games (LC, Fulham, Brentford) they were very lucky to even get 6 from. Could easily have been 0-2 points.

Not sure if the world cup will be lucky or unlucky, but if City continued playing like this for a month arsenal could be well clear.

Unfortunately there is a world cup and Arsenal has a really tough January.

I havenā€™t rated lloris for over a year now. He just doesnā€™t have it anymore imo

for me heā€™s still a good shot-stopper & great locker room guy but Iā€™m about ready to turn the page.

I do a dorky thing where after each game I note the players who imo were especially good or bad (usually just a handful), and this year Lloris has thirteen mentions, nine good four bad. But the four have all been recent (the first was at arsenal), and yeah even in his prime his wtf moments have been bananas wtf

(Bentancur btw is 13-1 for me this year with three clear MotMs; totally love that guyā€™s game)

do we have a WC thread? I had a dream months ago where Iran went through

1 Like

Not yet. We can use the international thread or create a new one

It has to have its own thread.

1 Like

Apparently Ronaldo just went full Kyrie Irving on Piers Morgan. What in the ever living world. Does this moron realize heā€™s costing himself more by doing this shit instead of just bowing out gracefully? Ego gonna ego I guess.