English Premier League & Other Club Football Thread

Well they haven’t played anyone yet. So.

Man City should be completely untouchable. Maybe Arsenal can sniff the UCL for the first time in 7 years.

1 Like

:vince:

1 Like

No one thinks arsenal will compete with City.

But they’re better than Chelsea and United and can probably finish ahead of Spurs/Chelsea and fight with pool for even second.

Every other team has gotten bossed by bottom half teams, so the haven’t played anyone is silly.

I’ll believe it when I see it. When’s the last time they finished top 4? 2015?

Correct, but half the times they’ve missed since have been by one game.

I’ve watched Liverpool get outplayed by Fulham, Everton, United and get lucky to score in the 98th vs Newcastle.

I’ve watched Chelsea get outplayed by Leeds, Southampton, Leicester and heard the decision vs West Ham was an all time ref howler.

Spurs are ugly to watch and rely on Kane/Son brilliance, they create no offense through midfield.

Arsenal are easily the best of this bunch through six games. Can those teams finish above Arsenal? Sure. They have more experienced players, and Arsenals depth is also lacking in experience.

Hard to see how Chelsea get a dominant attack out of their bunch. Conte doesn’t play for a dominant attack.

If Salah/Darwin/TAA/VVD continue this form, Liverpool will struggle for top 4. Those players minus Darwin have years of being world class, but its a worry if I’m a pool fan right now.

I’ll take Pool v Arsenal for even up to a grand. Quote to book.

Come on man, current line is probably Arsenal +6.5 or more.

The preseason line was double digits, somewhere around ~15 points.

You’re better than this.

Yup, 6.5

But Pool is washed and Arsenal are going to finish second? I don’t even have a team in the Prem, but that’s all I’ve heard from the gunners fans for weeks.

I spend way too much time on their reddit and it’s like 10,000 posts a day and basically no one has said that?

As I’ve said, you still have to run really good with multiple world class players having down years.

If you don’t have a dog in it, why not offer Chelsea or Spurs, the teams seen as even in the books rather than a team who has consistently been a top 3 team in Europe the last 5 years?

Agree. Problem is Tuchel hates giving up possession in any sense. Midfielders can’t break the lines, and attackers can’t dribble at opponents. It’s no good.

1 Like

I’m a pretty casual EPL fan, so I don’t follow things that closely, but can someone ELI5 how Chelsea went so quickly from winning the Champion’s League to what we see today.

Must just be the couple guys in my card discord that are circle jerking over Gabi and Jesus.

Watched the 2H of the Manure game and… notgreatbob.gif

Lots of teams spent lots of money. Chelsea, meanwhile, got worse.

If Jorginho / Kante aren’t god moding, they’re pretty average. And they lost Rudiger. And Silva is like my age.

Jorginho was basically playing as well as any mid in the world for the stretch of euros / UCL / Prem last year.

2 Likes

Thanks. That definitely tracks.

Don’t have a problem with the 2h vs United at all. Maybe like 5 teams in Europe can make United unable to leave their box they’re so pinned in.

Didn’t finish their chances then the first time United got over halfway in 25 minutes they score, oh well.

They were probably between the 5th and 7th best team in Europe when they won it, now they’re probably between 7th and 10th.

They had a somewhat lucky run, Arsenal and Spurs have improved since but also haven’t consistently shown they can be better than Chelsea over a full season even if they have looked better so far.

Chelsea also did batter Spurs when Kante was healthy.

Four years ago Chelsea almost sold Jorginho to Arsenal on deadline day they hated him so much. He’s done incredible since then, but his success is largely “playing beside kante or veratti as much as possible.”

It helped that they had a really easy draw in the Champions league (Porto/Athletico Madrid) before the 1-0 victory vs Man City in the final in which Rudiger probably should have gotten red carded.

But the biggest difference is that Kante was the best defensive mid fielder in the world during that run. He was just all over the place.

Jorginho is unplayable if a healthy Kante is not on the field picking up his slack.

I’m here for aof homerism

Look, I get that watching this twice a week is tough.

It’s four hours of torture a week having to sit through that.

1 Like