Elon Musk: Dork MAGA

Also, the people who assured me “Joe Rogan is actually really interesting bro, you just have to give him a chance” were just… wrong. The man is a dolt who’s jammed right-wing nonsense into the brains of an entire generation of dudes.

https://x.com/ditzkoff/status/1820054455825453255

2 Likes

oh yeah, first 10 seconds of “history and geopolitics” is “you endorsed donald trump, what do you like about him?”

NOPE

“he was fist-pumping after getting shot, biden struggles to walk up stairs”

I’m also a little ways into it. The Elon interview is actually only about an hour and a half, the rest in Interviews with others, so that feels like an unintentional angle shoot and I will not be accepting any $.

3 Likes

I think it’s time to cancel my Netflix.

ETA: I must live in a bubble, because the first ad I saw for his special was two days ago. I thought I misheard what the ad said, and memory holed it.

Just finished.

Idk what to say about it, Elon was as expected. I came away with a pretty poor opinion of Lex Fridman, who seems to be an idiot tbh.

Some of the weirder bits were Elon harping on the birth rate like the out of touch psycho that he is and talking about endorsing Trump for his toughness immediately after proclaiming that truth was the most important thing. I also think that he tries to rattle off obscure facts or terms or numbers in an attempt to appear smart, which works for anyone without knowledge of the industry he’s discussing but is probably laughed at by anyone with relevant knowledge (like all the stuff we’ve seen with Twitter, 10 micron tolerance for cyber truck, etc)

It’s also clear that he’s guided by some sort of “great man” belief and unsurprisingly thinks he’s that man. He takes credit for all of the work his teams do while pretending that decisions are his and his alone. He also essentially hoped for a benevolent dictator to solve all of our problems.

Oh yea, and he managed to complain about diversity and political correctness while overpromising AI capabilities.

So yea, it was just an hour and a half of Elon being Elon :man_shrugging:

12 Likes

If I had been trying a little harder I would have written down some of the specific things he said that were eyebrow raisers for one reason or another. I’ll go through the transcript and see if I can find them.

Talking about computer vision via neuralink, “see it in radar” had me chuckle:

Do you want to see it in radar? No problem. You could see ultraviolet, infrared, eagle vision, whatever you want.

Not a world I want to live in:

Lex Fridman: Do you think there’ll be a world in the next couple of decades where it’s hundreds of millions of people have Neuralinks?

Elon Musk: Yeah, I do.

His approach to problem solving. Can’t imagine how this could go wrong in a world without government regulations :roll_eyes::

And then, the second thing is try to delete whatever the step is, the part or the process step. It sounds very obvious, but people often forget to try deleting it entirely. And if you’re not forced to put back at least 10% of what you delete, you’re not deleting enough.

There was a bunch of this kind of shit:

But if you’ve got that kind of thing programmed in, the AI could conclude something absolutely insane like it’s better in order to avoid any possible misgendering, all humans must die, because then misgendering is not possible because there are no humans.

A take on the fall of Rome:

Rome fell because the Romans stopped making Romans.

This will be the last one I add, a hilarious and self-serving quote on high speed rail in America:

So there has to be a sort of garbage collection for laws and regulations so that you don’t keep accumulating laws and regulations to the point where you can’t do anything. This is why we can’t build a high speed rail in America. It’s illegal. That’s the issue. It’s illegal six ways a Sunday to build high speed rail in America.

Yes Elon, that’s why we can’t build HSR. It had nothing to do with you and your constant lies.

5 Likes

SORRY OK I WAS WRONG, SHEESH

5 Likes

definitely this

i thought the neurolink stuff was interesting, i’m not smart and am easily amused by shiny things.

when he said “think about how painful it would be to converse with someone that can talk 1/10th as fast as you. then realize people with neurolink will think 100x faster than regular humans”, like yeah, that sounds brutal.

I agree that it’s interesting but not in the “I can’t wait until this becomes a reality” way

If we could wave a magic wand that prevented implantable computers from ever becoming a thing I think it’s worth waving

1 Like

Massively wasteful and poisonous. What gives him the right?

Do the billions of people most vulnerable to climate change in India, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia get a say in whether or not SpaceX gets to fulfill Musk’s psychopathic dream of getting a few dozen people to Mars to preserve the race?

1 Like

Asshole should have stuck with the electric cars and even then he went in an idiotic direction with that truck.

1 Like

1 Like

Right. There’s something to be said here about the underlying assumption behind Elon’s ideas being the capitalistic desire for growth at all costs. Gotta have more babies so we can grow. Gotta travel to Mars so we can grow. Gotta put computers in people’s head so we can grow. Idk I don’t have the time or energy to word this well but it’s very toxic and unsustainable and it goes unquestioned. Sure he can pretend a business venture like tesla is about the environment or something but it’s actually about profit and there is no concern for true sustainability.

why?

I’m sure he understands the problems and waste, but forges ahead because he’s a megalomaniac or something. He doesn’t even seem to be driven by pure greed. He just must do these things no matter how bad they are. He needs the approval of all the idiots who say “woke mind virus” and worship him because they think rockets are cool? I’m thinking about how he knows the dangers of AI, but still invests billions of dollars in moving forward. He said he would “press pause on AI” if he could. Well, he could at least press it for himself, but nope.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if the motivating factor behind the idiotic truck was that Musk wanted to make it very clear that he did electric cars because they are fast and manly and have no one think that he was a girly environmentalist.

that’s not really fair. him pressing his own button while everyone else continues on isn’t at all comparable to pressing everyone’s button.

I’m not really sure what you’re referring to there. He is pressing an effing huge button. He has spent at least hundreds of millions in AI research. He was a large investor in the AI project that famously had a bunch of top people resign because of fears that AI is a serious threat.