Elon Musk: Dork MAGA

I guess I have to assume this means something different than what’s been called drive by wire in ICE engines for like 40 years or more

1 Like

Isn’t Lightning the version that’s the most aimed at consumers who won’t use the bed at all? That’s my recollection

Oh, never mind. I’m very behind, I guess.

I swear Lightning was used for an F150 trim in the 90s, before being used for the electric 150, which I am just now learning is called Lightning

Oh could be. I just assumed it was a standard 150 build which I think has been the number one selling vehicle for like 40 years.

I was thinking of the 90s racing F150 which was called Lightning.

F150 has many different bed lengths. At some point it even had different widths

2 Likes

Yah not throttle by wire, but actually steering by wire in that there is no mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the turn-y bits.

1 Like

It’s like fly-by-wire in airplanes. Older planes (and all cars) still have a mechanical connection between yoke and aelirons/elevator. Modern planes don’t have that, it’s all done by computer.

Jason demonstrates how it works in that video.

So, I know we all hate Elon, but I can tell you that Jason does too. But he’s also paid to do a job, and he’s been one of the best automotive journalists in the business for a couple of decades now. I’ve known him for years, he went to high school with my husband and brother in law, and he’s as left-wing as they come (and has been out as gay since he left high school). It’s an ugly, stupid behemoth, but the fly by wire steering is a pretty big leap forward for cars.

Also, watch some of his other videos…all of them are on the whimsical side, that’s part of the bit.

I love that he’s finally getting the mainstream attention he deserves (Top Gear would be so much better with him on it), but hate that it’s from this review…and he probably does too, lol.

His personal car collection is pretty amazing, too. and it’s not what you think:

ETA: just texted him…the kicker is: Jason is apparently blocked by Elon Musk on twitter. LMAO

3 Likes

The steering on the cyber truck seems like a real innovation that will end up in all cars eventually.

Teslas are known to randomly shut down while you’re driving, leaving you without power steering, power braking, hazards or turn signals. When that happens in a Cybertruck, you’ll have zero ability to steer since there’s no mechanical backup.

OHH DISUPTIANO!

9 Likes

This is the dumbest fucking thing I’ve ever seen

1 Like

Doesn’t matter, bulletproof bro.

Wall-proof too, and but not in a good way:

Hardly any crumple zone, no side curtain airbags, and the rear dummy’s seatbelt either broke or didn’t lock. Some people say this footage shows the rear suspension breaking, but it’s probably just the four-wheel steering causing that wheel to turn.

Seriously doubt that. Removing the mechanical link in a car is simply a gimmick with no real benefits and the downside that no power means no steering at all. Fly by wire in most planes that use it is a neccesity as the planes are not stable without it so no power means a crash either way.

I’ve had the engine cut out a couple times on me while driving, like twice in the freeway. Once was running out of gas and maybe 3 times bumping my keys in the ignition. Losing steering too would have sucked.

Watch the Marques video for the benefits.

Plus there’s a very high level of engineering, maintenance, and history that goes into keeping power going on an airplane. Cars, the driver is the only person determining any maintenance, which is usually loltastically negligent, and this is a new car in a lot of ways compared to airplanes

1 Like

1 Like

FREEZE PEACH means that no one should ever be allowed to point out that your views are objectively wrong and extremely harmful. In fact the government should ban them from saying that. I am very smart.

2 Likes

I would have expected Elon to have a clearer understanding of genocide by now.