Elden Ring Friendship Circle

Historically the knight is the best class for new players.

1 Like

Prisoner for the dope helmet. Going with a battlemage type build.

I’ve had 2 moments so far where I literally yell out “what in the fucking fuck”!!!? Games nuts.

1 Like

I just found an insane weapon I didn’t know existed…

Wolverine claws

snikt

apparently no one can play on PC/steam as it needs to “unpack” and it takes 1/2 hour+

Really? That only took a few minutes for me.

Well, clearly I have absolutely no sense for combat in this game.

4 Likes

You’ll get the hang of it. Eventually it clicks. It’s really important to keep weapons upgraded I’ve found.

What is the default approach for random grunts? Stab them in the back? Dodge then attack? Jump in and try to stagger, and then finish them off? Shield? Parry?

45 mins from getting in but based off other games would be shocked if its not

stealth/backstab if you can

if not

ranged attack/magic then pound

if not

hold up shield with L1, punish after block/whiff

when gud

parry with L2 when you have memorized movesets pretty much

though thats before this game, this one famously introduces enhanced jump + heavy attacks, dual wield special attacks, and block reversal attacks. yeah thats not helpful but uh gist of it is unti you’re super used to enemy movesets the entire key to the game is play defensively and block/punish things.

I’m getting better at combat, but I think I’m regretting my class choice. Went for confessor, thinking that the high level, the potential for offensive magic, having healing as a crutch, and a sword to fall back on as a last resort would be forgiving, but instead it’s just a sword for offense to start, a healing spell that doesn’t do enough, and a sneak spell that also doesn’t seem to do enough. Anyone having success with a samurai or one of the casters?

Elden Ring is simply incredible so far. For all that it’s an open-world game, I feel much less lost and confused than I was when I played DS3. Combat feels just right, probably frustrating af for noobs. Despite GRRM being on the team, From Software commits to not letting you know what the fuck is going on.

Crafting sucks ass, though. Who asked for this? When you were battling through DS3, did you wish you could stop to gather herbs?

Serious advice for noobs is to master the art of stick-and-move. The game will let you get one or two hits in, but you’ll feel compelled to keep hitting three or four times. Just stick it to him and then roll away.

1 Like

Also confessor. This helped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTbo26tFmx8

Doing fine got past the first real boss though it took a while. Summon wolves + golden summon and just stunned him down a few times and was able to finish him off eventually. I’m hoping when I get faith above 20 the weapon art buff and the fireballs will be stronger, we’ll see. Cleared everything in lingrave minus swamp dragon but may give him a shot again before moving on to staggering through the castle. Mounted combat (with a big weapon at least) destroys everything minus uh those tree guardians wtf is that.

Liking it a lot though not sure how these guys get away with reusing the exact same animations and weapons (claymore in particular) for what 6 games, since 2009, and yet high praise every game? meh.

1 Like

After update my controller is completely fucked. Won’t recognize it when I start the game, tried downloading som program still doesn’t work. I’m very angry that I’m not more adept with computer stuff.

I went with astrologer, because I like magic, but I’m kind of regretting the choice. Haven’t been able to get any new spells and I’m getting rocked when I can’t keep distance and all these early big fights seem like it’s impossible to stay away.

I found a sorcerer hidden behind a dungeon boss that just sold me 8 new spells. The boss was called pumpkin head or something. It’s around the giant flower guys. I know that’s not much help lol.

2 Likes

I made it to that dude, but haven’t been able to beat him yet. I really suck at combat, lol. So I’ve been spending some time to level up my strength attributes and get a better weapon.

Best way to play this game is honestly to pick a random direction and keep going.

1 Like

Ok I have spent some time actually practicing with sword and shield, and I’m making much better progress against pumpkin dude. Timely blocking helps so much, also not overcommitting with too many attacks.

I used a shield and spear and just block attached the whole time. Spear is really good at low levels because you can block damage and still attack if your endurance is high enough.