Elden Ring Friendship Circle

Huge caveat that these are my favorite games.

My hype level is through the roof. Played 15 hours of limgrave already since I was lucky enough to snag a Closed Network Test code so my level of confidence is also extremely high. Been trying to avoid spoilers (including recent launch trailer) but all the people I follow for souls content are raving. Reports are that the map is huge beyond the CNT (10x possibly), densely packed, and exploring every corner is heavily rewarded. Main quest is only a fraction of the game but those major areas top fromsoft previous elite quality level design and alone would combine to make up more than other entire souls games. Many of the reviewers are saying they are 50+ hours in and not close to the end. I also have high hopes for the quality and depth of the lore.

The aspect where I think this might appeal to more non soulsborne fans is that if you get stuck on an area, there’s tons of other ways to go due to the open world and you can return when you are more leveled up, have better equipment, or utilize co-op, use the spirits, etc. You always respawn at the boss rather than have to do what is sometimes a multi-minute run back each attempt. That said, it’s still very much a souls game, so would still be very hesitant if those games never appealed to you.

1 Like

This (circa 4:30) is saying that a 2080 was doing 60 fps at 1440p, which is better than my monitor:

3080 for 4k.

Yeah you’ll probably be fine especially since it somehow doesn’t support ray tracing. In my experience From’s stuff is better on console IMO. I couldn’t get through sekiro at all on my pc then picked it up on ps5 on sale later and loved it but again ymmv.

One of the reviews I watched today was like “yeah Skyrim came out 10 years ago and was rereleased every year and it still sold and this is this decade’s skyrim” pretty crazy. Still not sure its going to cross over to non souls people though. I work at a giant retailer and said today in slack “hope our team members are ready for a deluge of game returns when mom waves box angrily and says ‘this is supposed to be like breath of the wild but braxton has been dying for 3 hours straight’”

1 Like

I tend to go swole bro on my first playthrough, especially since power stance is back. But everyone is saying the casting is too fun to completely pass up on. And theres the ashes of war that I haven’t explored much either. I’ll likely not be very efficient and keep leveling up a different stat just to try the next weapon or spell I pick up.

As someone who’s never played a souls game and who hasn’t hardly looked into Elden Ring at all, I wouldn’t mind hearing about some good strategies for getting started and common n00b pitfalls to avoid.

She’s a little crazy about rpg open world games. Loves Witcher 3, botw, and fallout 3/4/nv. She plays in the weirdest way. She is a massive completionist, did like 99.8% on botw including all of the Korak seeds iirc

4 Likes

Jesus christ

1 Like

I bought DS3 on Steam and played in with an Xbox controller. Quit a few hours in. Only have an XB1 so probably passing on this for now. Watched a long review today and it looks pretty impressive. Can’t say I understand having a super massive open world RPG and refusing to have a journal feature for the huge amount of lore.

I’m loaded in. Just need to through 1 more meeting. Ready for the pain.

1 Like

Don’t get frustrated when the tutorial boss demolishes you like a dozen times.

2 Likes

If it follows the mechanics of the other Souls-like games, the roll is a temporary invulnerability. So you don’t need to get out of the range of enemies attacks, you just need to time the dodge correctly to avoid them.

2 Likes

Also, running is always an option.

2 Likes

Game is playing incredibly smooth so far on a XSX. Only died 4 times so far!

2 Likes

Don’t worry I’ve only died to the first main boss 10 times in a row.

2 Likes

9 hours to go for me :expressionless:

Is this the tutorial boss or a real boss?

Real boss. Thankfully.

20 deaths is all it took. /s

2 Likes

What class did you pick? so I can pick a different one