El Sapo and RiskyFlush 1v1 Film War

This is going to be tough. I loved Lost in Translation a lot more this last time than before, but Groundhog Day has never let me down.

LIT is better in many ways and really resonates w me, but GHD is an excellent classic.

I feel like LIT is a nice movie. A very nice movie. Whereas GHD is perfection.

Wholly unique.

1 Like

Let’s goooooooooo

Started!

TUUUUBA

If I recall, they originally had a different opening where the story starts with Bill’s character already having lived for years and years and years.

That would be an interesting intro.

It is interesting to think of how the movie would have played if the entire on-screen story had taken place inside Punxsutawney. I think though that we need to feel Phil’s desperation, and that’s all the more acute because we spent these brief moments in the world he yearns to return to.

Seeeing the first day repeat is pretty key, so I think what you describe would be a entirely different approach and movie.

1 Like

Wtf.

1 Like

Chance of departure … such a dick in that scene.

And perhaps so in a way that wouldn’t be apparent until the movie was in front of audiences.

I recall Frank Darabont saying the opening we all know only happened because he couldn’t afford to shoot everything he wanted. He was going to shoot Andy getting drunk, driving up to his ex wife and her lover, really thinking things over whether to shoot them, long shots that linger on whether he might follow through.

But he couldn’t afford to shoot all of that, so he got a few shots and stretched the footage by inserting it throughout the trial. It’s one of the greatest opening sequences in a movie, such economy of story and character, but if Darabont had had his way, we might have experienced the movie entirely differently.

Do you think anyone else could have made this work? Such a delicate role to be an asshole the audience still loves.

Does the audience love thim yet? I don’t think so. What makes him lovable in the end is seeing his change.

1 Like

Love it. Nothing happens. No on-screen magic, no indication. You’re just in it.

1 Like

I mean in the sense that we care about seeing what happens to him.

Like in My Best Friend’s Wedding. That character is horrid and the entire premise of the movie is more ridiculous than that Walking Dead Guy in Love Actually. But it’s Julia Roberts, so we are along for the ride.

1 Like

Too early for flapjacks?

Do you call them flapjacks where you are? I’ve always called them pancakes.

1 Like

Big turning point. If you’re going to repeat the same day forever, why not have a little fun?