Education, all levels

I mean you’re probably right. I’m mostly wish-casting.

I think my wife is set on sending the kids back to school. And I understand - my dilemma is hurting them socially if they are in an extreme minority that stays home. That’s her fear.

In the meantime, my 11-year old is having fun doing a Zoom/Roblox birthday party for his best friend right now.

Our kids are a lot more adept at being able to social distance through technologically connecting than we were and be able to not be social martyrs for it. I think so long as your kids have the skype/zoom/game tags of their friends, their social status should remain intact

Only if their friends are distancing too, though, right? I think dlk’s worry is keeping his kids home while the friends are all hanging out at school.

I really don’t know what to do. My Canadian relatives are encouraging me to quit my dream job and move back. I can’t say I blame them. Things are getting really bad in California. On the other hand, Wife and I are in our mid thirties; kids are mostly asymptomatic. So even if we do get it (and likely will with schools open) we would likely have a couple awful weeks of illness and then be fine. We would continue on hard lockdown outside of school, so we wouldn’t infect anyone else.

My daughter is supposed to start kindergarten in mid August. Wife and I would need to quit our jobs and start over. I can’t keep my kid home for years while this all blows over. What would you do?

Just found out today we are in the same boat. Ten days to decide whether to do a full normal schedule, full online schedule, or hybrid 2 day campus/three day online schedule.

No idea which direction to go in. My son wants to go back to school, but the numbers here are on the rise, and with Sac county shutting down and not Placer, the numbers are going to get much worse, much more quickly.

Thousands of instructors at American colleges and universities have told administrators in recent days that they are unwilling to resume in-person classes because of the pandemic.

More than three-quarters of colleges and universities have decided students can return to campus this fall. But they face a growing faculty revolt.

In my department, the younger, more junior professors seem comfortable going back to in person. But some of the senior population is much more unwilling.

I have not experienced any pressure yet to go in person, but I know the university wants there to be a continuum of in-person, hybrid, and online classes available in all majors. I’m not sure what they’ll do if they find out that instructors’ preferences are overwhelmingly for online.

Also, this is a good read:

I really don’t know how I feel about all of this. I teach band, and my wife teaches HS English. My HS band is 110 kids currently. Well over the “large group” size recommendations. I really don’t know how we are going back in the fall. But, our district is committed to going back “as normal” right now. Sigh.

So many things to think about, that I’m not sure they have. We teach in the same district. If one of my band kids turns up positive, then they, the other 109 kids in the class, and the four band directors (we team teach) will have to quarantine for 14 days. But, so will my wife then, since we live together. And then so will her classes that she has come into contact with. Plus our two kids (JH and 4th grade). It’s going to be quite the clusterfuck I’m afraid.

Harvard goes fully online for 2020-2021. I’m expecting more (all) shoes to drop soon.

https://twitter.com/BGrueskin/status/1280153459552108544

1 Like

For the entire year is pretty eye opening. Im pretty sure Cal state and UC schools have only announced for the fall semester

1 Like

Holy shit

This is even more holy shit:
https://twitter.com/elizabeth_joh/status/1280195187877146625

https://twitter.com/karinfischer/status/1280200916574978053

Trump administration trying to decimate higher education.

Uhhhhhh are these legit sources? That’s huge news.

The second tweet has the link to the ice release about this

Holy fuck that’s really scary and next-level fascism.

1 Like

Our college president just sent out an email about mask compliance because it is imperative that we offer in-person courses in the fall. Lovely.

Im told that International Centers at all 10 UC campuses plus various other higher ups are currently meeting to decide how to respond to this announcement. Confirmed a Big Deal.

We were already struggling over what to do about incoming students who have been unable to get visas. But this is potentially far worse. I’ve got a PhD student on an f1 and have no idea what to tell him.

Off the record you probably tell him to hide until after November and take the semester doing some consulting work or something.