Education, all levels

The school doesn’t even have a baseball field, how the fuck can they have a team?

I used to work at the Ringling museum right next to New college. The security concerns are very real. It’s fine by the school headed towards the home2suites, but if you head south from the, it’s not a great area to be in

They can’t find anyone who’s that terrible at budgeting for less than $800,000?

Tbh undermining the mission of the university in favor of revenue generation is what he is being hired for. What kind of person do you think serves as a WVU trustee? Hell, Gee was hired by OSU twice! Excepting a place like Brown, he is not going to be run out by agitating the faculty.

A better question is why he keeps going, dude is like 80 and has been a president for like 40 years. Enough already.

I can’t find apples-to-apples numbers, but I’m pretty sure he made more than that 10 years ago at Ohio State. Now, arguably, running one of the largest universities in the country and a huge medical center makes the OSU position atypical. But when you have the chance to hire him at $800k, you have to take it!

WVU sickos: “Yes…hahaha…yes! Burn our university too!” In fairness, a chunk of the difference in the Ohio State salary was buying luxury car prices worth of bow ties.

A pretty good opinion piece about what DeSantis is doing with New College, basically Affirmative action for men and conservatives

Ohio State names new president, Ted Carter (from the University of Nebraska).

Of interest: he’s a graduate of the Navy Fighter Weapons School, more familiarly known as Top Gun. So I assume there will be new majors in shirtless beach volleyball and dogfight football.

1 Like

My local district.

When I got the email about the book being removed, it made me more interested to find out what it was and read it.

Continuing the discussion from Douchebag 2.0—an Elon Musk company:

lol at this post

Can’t be too careful with books, people put all kinds of crazy stuff in them.

1 Like

There should be a tournament for worst educators, K-12 public school edition. SEC would be the odds-on favorite.

My family has four years left in this school district. It’s one of the best in the state - and the specific public schools my kids go and have gone to are elite - but things aren’t looking good.

DeSantis will have them back on the job in no time. Probably with a raise to recognize their initiative.

As part of my energy engineering master’s, I’ve picked up a subject from the business school with a bunch of the MBA students.

Oh my god.

I’m stunned by how mediocre all the students are. I mean, they obviously work fairly hard and all, but there is a staggering absence of any intellectual curiosity at all. No interest in understanding why things are that way, just wanting to tick boxes and move on.

The subject as a whole is also considerably easier than my engineering course.

For example. There’s a single piece of course work worth 20%. Done as a group with 5 other people. It’s about the similar level to assignments where I had 3 to do in a term on my own in engineering.

I also get marks for “class participation”.

Of course, working as a group is hard. So maybe this is a feature not a bug. I.e. get people good at working together, and trying to get as many people passing as possible with at least a basic understanding of the content.

Cliff notes. Don’t hire MBAs. Hire engineers instead.

EDIT. This is at the top ranked business school in Aus. Top 15 to 30 globally.

I mean imagine going to school to study business of all things. I don’t see how that’s possible while also being intellectually curious.

1 Like

They go for the money not the curiosity.

1 Like

I don’t really know what business school is (tbh I don’t really know what ‘business’ is in general), but when I was an undergrad my freshman dormmate was a business major and what I remember best is that his big survey course was a double semester introduction to Microsoft Office. I am not joking either, that was literally like the title of the course (ftr this was an R1 institution). I must have made fun of him every day that year. In the end though, I guess the joke was on me as he is rich now and I still don’t know if you can make a star swipe on Powerpoint.

1 Like

1 Like