EDM and/or electronic music

Oh yeah, a lot. 90 times so far according to WhoSampled.

1 Like

I’ve posted these before but two amazing retro house mixes. One of them starts with a profound dialogue sample of an actress discussing what it feels like to be judged.

Thoughtful dialogue intros will never get old to me.

1 Like

Ah yes, the Zomby and Squarepusher tracks were the type of thing I was thinking of when I wrote “jungly” dnb. I don’t know if that’s the right term for it though? What would you call this style anyway?

They call it dark step nowadays.

1 Like

Bangers! vnh

2 Likes

Love this record. It’s a classic break.

Have you heard any of the electronic cumbia stuff ? (Non sequitor)

I don’t want to post too much right now but oh man.

Working on a boards of Canada vs classic anime ost mix this weekend. All vinyl mix.

Electronic cumbia is definitely a new one to me.

BoC need to release another damn album. Are they even still working? I thought they were done before when they went dark for almost a decade, and then they dropped Tomorrow’s Harvest out of nowhere which is just so amazingly good.

Have you heard the 3 previous unreleased albums that are YouTube only. Super old.

Lots of earlier versions of same tracks but a lot of original stuff too. Hell they have a pure vapor wave track which is funny to me.

There’s some amazing moments.

That church hymn from the year 3030 at the 28:49 mark…

ETA meant to reply to zz

I’ve listened to some of their old and unreleased stuff but never given it a serious listen. I think I remember reading that they recorded some absurd number of tracks for Tomorrow’s Harvest and then picked the few they liked best. I get the impression they still have a lot of unreleased material in the vaults.

I used to use “Dayvan Cowboy” as a username for some stuff, havent listened to them in forever.

Sorry for the BOC derail.

Back on track.

Yeah I don’t use twitch for it ever but these two are two of my best friends and absolute fucking killers so I linked it.

They’re who I part with in the desert when I drop acid and camp out for a couple days.

Anyone who hasn’t, jump in the twitch its still going and its poppin

Dave Tarrida Discography | Discogs.

3 Likes
1 Like

1 Like

I have a love/hate relationship with electronic. My general critique of the genre is that songwriting is severely lacking as most of it sounds like people playing the stock preset loops off a groovebox to me. I describe it as sort of like watching a film that pans a nice landscape for minutes at a time: no dialogue, no plot, no story arc, just something pleasant that hangs for way too long and doesn’t go anywhere. I should point out that I’m talking about critical listening and not a dance club or background-music-while-working setting.

My gold standard is still The Crystal Method’s debut album Vegas which is a musical masterpiece from start to finish for any genre. Usually when I say this, people quickly point out The Chemical Brothers or [insert another big beat act from the era] which I don’t see as being on the same level at all. In fact, I’m not even necessarily that into big beat–it’s really just the songwriting/composition that blows me away. Vegas is stuffed with melodic motifs, call-and-response, hooks, counterpoint, drop-in/drop-out dynamics, and clear A/B/C-type structure concepts. These are pretty basic and fundamental musical concepts, yet I feel like they are lost on too many electronic musicians. Vegas is a straight hour of all that stuff and it never lets up although it sounds a little dated to me now when I listed on good hardware.

Example:

A lot of distinct parts here. Melodically I think there’s a clear A “verse” motif (the distorted guitar-sounding part), a B “chorus,” and then that C part (meow synth). Really great use of orchestration to control dynamics which peaks at the end when they bring everything in together.

1 Like

The Crystal Method : The Chemical Brothers :: Justin Bieber : Ed Sheeran

You’re barely scratching the surface of what the genre has to offer. Maybe try something like this, and consider that where electronic music really shines is in going beyond the more typical musical structures of verse/chorus, melody, harmony, etc. I actually get kind of annoyed when artists try to force songs into generic pop music patterns because it takes away so much of what I love about it.

Electronic melody, beautifully tortured:

2 Likes

lolu