Douchebag 2.0—an Elon Musk company

I feel like nobody here is shocked Elon Musk is a racist but that lawsuit has some really extreme claims that are very damaging to Tesla’s reputation. A segregated workplace in 2022???

I feel like it’s getting glossed over a bit because it’s not a shock the the white South African billionaire is a racist… But the workplace environment being that bad in 2022 is a huge deal.

Put it this way, yesterday I would have loved to have a Tesla. Today, not so much.

Good lord dudes, Musk is American, not South African. Imputing attitudes to people based on their national origin is really bad! Immigrants are not inherently shaped by the place they were born or the ethnic group their parents belong to. To the contrary, people who leave their countries of origin at a young age are likely people who don’t fit in in the old country.

EDIT: “Wow, that American guy is a huge racist. Must be his foreign blood…”

This is beyond parody.

4 Likes

Tesla’s never winning the race to fsd. They’re just the most willing to put a dangerous, incomplete product on the streets and have the cult members test it for them. And the most willing to get their cult members to pony up $x now for fsd unlock before we raise the price! Fsd will be complete next year!

yeah. we got a lot of black ice and ice storms than pure snow

Sounds like something a Hawaiian would say.

Tesla doesn’t use lidar right?

No

https://mobile.twitter.com/bethbourdon/status/1492140196519112706

1 Like

The experiments involved 23 monkeys in all. At least 15 of them died or were euthanized by 2020, according to the group, which based the report on records released through California’s open records law.

Why FSD is anything other than Elons lie? Is it really that hard to build high speed railroads in 'merica?

The fact that he’s the richest person in the world despite being an utter moron in every respect other than pure carney hucksterism who has never personally created anything of any value is funny. The fact that he’s a racist frat boy who is hostile not merely to unions to to basic workplace safety is standard, par for the course. But torturing monkeys? I can’t abide it man. Aren’t you fucking rich enough you piece of fucking exrecment?

3 Likes

is he still the richest? i thought tesla wasn’t stonks for a couple of months now.

Not so sure about this. SpaceX convinced NASA to let them fly astronauts, and by all indications worked very productively with them. As I’ve said before, a key element of Musk’s business genius is adapting the startup/iterative/move fast and break things engineering paradigm and applying it in industries where the product really can’t be allowed to break. Having to convince skeptical regulators is central to that and not a new challenge.

move fast and break things is a stupid euphemism for people not knowing what they are doing. in retrospect, moving fast didn’t so much accelerate the tech industry, but it did stagnate the culture and solved exactly zero inequities. rushing to be the first and biggest gig work app or social net is somehow orthogonal to those being useful social institutions, especially when those institutions did not yet exist before. there’s no long term social damage from paypal launching in 2003 vs 2001, but there is damage from launching an incomplete or bad product.

moreover, in space exploration, that move fast mindset ignores like 50 years of acquired skills and knowledge by nasa, and imposes a cost too, by defunding or diluting scientific efforts in favor of commercial. which i think is a huge disservice.

Perhaps. I think the important insight is the incremental part—essentially that there are requirements and techniques that can either only or most easily be learned by doing. To take Starship as an example, if the project was attempted under a traditional paradigm, it would have run way over budget and then just been cancelled when they couldn’t get the carbon fiber design to work. Instead it was radically redesigned and seems to be making continued progress.

Re: your view of the relationship between commercial space and NASA, it’s pretty hard to square with reality. The engine on the Falcon 9 is an evolution of a NASA research design. They designed their first manned spacecraft under NASA’s careful supervision. One of their biggest businesses is launching scientific missions and astronauts for NASA and others.

Can someone please move fast and break, like, realtor fees and title insurance instead of taxis or space tourism for gazillionaires?

I am pretty sure they’d somehow manage to make it worse, like technically you aren’t the owner of the house because legally it has to be considered a public park for you to use their unlicensed broker or something stupid like that. They’d never just make it more efficient. Cool app though.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/BadAstronomer/status/1494320347734155266

Jesus this is real? What the fuck is wrong with this guy?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1494216634822766594