Douchebag 2.0—an Elon Musk company

21 Likes
  1. Fall ass backwards into an unprecedented in history opportunity to generate wealth

2. Spend majority of your time lighting $44 billion on fire to argue online with people named “catturd”

2 Likes

They guy had complete carte blanche. He got richer and richer no matter that all his companies lost money. Anything he proposed got hyped up by a legion of superfans. He was uniquely positioned to gather options from true subject matter experts and do something incredibly long term and loss incurring that literally saved the world. He bought twitter.

6 Likes

I think you’re confusing “because of his acumen” with “despite his acumen.”

1 Like

The whole discussion of Elon is kind of like asking whether Roland Emmerich or Michael Bay are good at making movies. The answer is absolutely yes for a certain kind of movie and a certain definition of “good”, the answer is absolutely no if any kind of subtlety and finesse is required. Elon is good at moving fast, breaking stuff, taking risks, creating hype, overpromising and figuring it out later. That’s a real skillset. It’s totally not the skillset required at Twitter, though. Twitter may well be a profitable company under his leadership, it will just be a profitable company worth way less than what he paid for it.

2 Likes

I.e., like our 45th President, he is a truly gifted scammer and scofflaw. And sure, that is one way to be “good at business.”

1 Like
4 Likes

Substack is officially my replacement for Twitter omg this is awesome

2 Likes

Looking forward to Twitter Files, Chapter 327, only available on Substack for $2.99/paragraph.

2 Likes

And yet you did not generate billions despite being alive at the same time as Musk. Very curious.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1646536158438891522?s=46&t=RKQIqRrKzVps835SSEmebA

Ya hate to see it

12 Likes

I’m curious what you perceive as the major sin here,

Huh? Guy went to bat for Elon and got used and is now moving to truth social of all things

That’s indefensible?

Is that what you think I was saying?

Bari Weiss just started something called Free Press??? I got a Twitter ad.

Of all these efforts, the one that seems to have shaken Musk the most lately is Substack, which rolled out its Notes product this week. (See my ethics disclosure about Substack.) Notes — which shows you a feed of text and links from writers you follow on the platform, plus others that an algorithm guesses you might find appealing — indeed looks a lot like Twitter, if you stripped out everyone that wasn’t a writer.

It turns out this has a certain appeal, particularly if you’re the sort of person who subscribes to a lot of Substacks. (I subscribe to more than 50.) One thing Notes gets right is that in addition to showing you posts from writers you’re already reading, it also shows you popular posts from other writers in the network. The day that Notes launched, I observed a notable uptick in paid monthly subscriptions, and I strongly suspect that people who encountered me for the first time on Notes were the driving force.

1 Like

:vince:

2 Likes

Paying for a bunch of grifters’ well-considered thoughts.

Couldn’t be me.

:thinking::flushed:

1 Like