Douchebag 2.0—an Elon Musk company

Too many cooks is kinda funny. I assume we’re talking about the intro that goes on forever.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1600263985382981632

edit: reminded me of this one

4 Likes

the “big dial that says RACISM” is probably the best dril tweet but there are so many bangers

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024

https://twitter.com/dril/status/972534838057230336

7 Likes

And the former FBI general counsel. So yeah, you probably don’t want the former FBI general council scrubbing references to contact between the FBI and Twitter. The relationship and communication between the government/law enforcement and Twitter is at the heart of any story here. Potentially transforming the story from being about voluntary corporate censorship to state censorship.

The two that live full-time in my head are:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472?s=20&t=pp5U_rXGfc7HuSKUDWeI6g

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?s=20&t=pp5U_rXGfc7HuSKUDWeI6g

13 Likes

You need to at least consider the possibility that a management culture that pushes to deliver results as soon as possible while accepting that failures will happen is a cause of SpaceX’s success, not something that they succeeded in spite of. Early SpaceX was blowing up rockets like fireworks.

What’s so frustrating about Musk Derangement Syndrome is that there’s a whole business philosophy that cries out to be analyzed, but people refuse to do it because they are determined to believe that Musk is a moron who got rich on his daddy’s emerald wealth and a few lucky hires. That’s so boring! I mean, assume it’s true that all Elon does is hire talented lieutenants, point them at goals, then flit around doing PR events. It’s actually really interesting that that works out so well. Why do the lieutenants stay aligned with his goals rather than pursuing a bunch of empire-building? Does the PR actually serve a function of keeping everyone in the org marching in the same direction? B-school professors spend whole careers studying these questions.

You’re trolling, right? :gift_heart:

Elon is a hell of a drug.

1 Like
2 Likes

I find it odd that no one’s written about his management style because, while there’s a good bit of ‘Elon Derangement Syndrome’ it’s mostly centered in the cultural zeitgeist left. Those aren’t the people who write and research business administration practices. It’d usually former mid to high level employees getting back into academia, b school professors, etc. There is reporting on so many other Silicon Valley business. If I want to know how Google ran their business I can find a couple of books on them, same with Amazon. I can even find books on Thiel’s businesses and he’s the AntiChrist.

As far as I know, there’s only been a few blog posts about Musk’s management style and not any high profile books called ‘Charged for Sucess: How Elon Musk Started a Car Company and Changed the World’

3 Likes

I am pretty sure that its widely accepted among business management experts that even good leaders are usually only good in certain circumstances. The myth of the universally Great Leader looms large in popular culture but I think experienced business people realize that different types of organizations need different types of leaders. It’s entirely possible that Young Elon was in fact a good fit for getting SpaceX off the ground and that Old Elon is a disaster for leading an organization like Twitter in 2022. In fact, it would be a shocker if the same person was the ideal leader in both roles.

2 Likes

Yes! If you take it as a given that Elon is a narcissistic man-baby who’s just clicking buttons, it would still be very interesting to know which buttons he clicked that made his enterprises successful. It’s not a random event that SpaceX launches rockets that work reliably. The factors that cause that success may not have been chosen by Elon as an exercise of business skill, but they still exist and would be interesting to know more about. For example, even if he randomly spun the “vertical integration” dial without a thought in his head, was it important to the outcome that it landed on “much more integrated than competitors”? Should GM be trying to bring more components in-house as they’re building their EV business? So much more interesting than trying to count the distinct number of personality disorders that Elon has.

1 Like

Oh man, this gives me a great idea. I’m imagining writing the following introduction to a research paper on strategy:

“Countless researchers have attempted to assess the consequences of myriad managerial styles and strategic choices. Yet, because we simply observe those styles/choices rather than assigning them in a randomized trial, it is impossible to separate the style/choice in question from an infinite number of confounding factors. This paper addresses this ever-present endogeneity concern with a novel empirical approach: We study the consequences of Elon Musk’s actions, under the benign assumption that Elon Musk “is a narcissistic man-baby who’s just clicking buttons” (@bobman0330, 2022). In other words, Musk’s actions themselves represent a set of randomized experiments.”

7 Likes

ngl, had to look up endogenity, thought it was some crypto reference

2 Likes

calling this a “cause of success” has a connotation that it’s a good and repeatable strategy. It’s probably more like making a single big bet on a single roulette spin. Sometimes double zero comes up and you look like a genius.

1 Like

If you type Jim Baker into Google search all the top results come from “right-wing” outlets with WSJ the the furthest left outlet that even acknowledges this aspect of the story.

For as much time and energy as they have committed to the Musk/Twitter saga, it continues to be wild how the traditional left-wing MSM just completely ignores major parts of the story that dont fit their preferred narrative.

please elaborate

“company lawyer reviews plans before the company takes a politically sensitive action” is a total nothingburger

1 Like

post.news, besides just having zero interesting content, also feels like it was coded by a bunch of sixth graders. Not sure what framework they’re using but it’s remarkably fragile, just a very bad overall user experience.

it’s not as bad as UPS or AT&Ts websites but close

typical thing that post.news’s algorithm thinks I’ll be interested in

there are only approximately 4 posts on the whole site that have replies but I can’t see any of them, what am I missing???