Douchebag 2.0—an Elon Musk company

Ignore the haters.

Case studies are valuable points of research.

I’d love to see what we can learn from the convergence of variables around Musk. Even if it was all accidents and serendipity, we can learn a little about how to do those things deliberately next time.

What is there to elaborate.

Most Google searches on political related topics, the “Top Stories” section is left wing MSM links. Which is fine.

Type in Hershel Walker and its mostly left wing MSM. Type in Jim Baker and all the “Top Stories” are all right wing outlets. Given this is a such a major, timely part of such a major, timely news story, a very interesting demarcation.

I dont even know where the quote you provided comes from. It certainly doesn’t show up on a Google search for “Jim Baker”

Sure Elon has perfectly cromulent technical skills but he is clearly a Trumpian level liar, conman and scumbag. Those traits, massive risk tolerance and massive luck are clearly the “secrets” to his success.

Safe to assume you are also a subscriber to the original Trump Derangement Syndrome as well? Dude did become the most powerful man in the world.

1 Like

well you’re begging the question of whether this is actually newsworthy.

yes, it’s possible that leftist media is refusing to report on this because it “doesn’t fit their narrative”

it’s also possible that rightwing media is trying to manufacture some sort of controversy where there is none.

you point at the discrepancy as if it’s proof of the later without any sort of argument for why this is the case

that’s what I was hoping you would elaborate on

3 Likes

it’s from me

3 Likes

Is this sarcasm? I think he is actually begging the question.

4 Likes

I’m not sure, still waking up and drinking coffee. Ignore me if I slapped him with a common mistake meme but he actually got it right.

FYI, Garner’s Modern English Usage labels the use of beg the question for invite the follow-up question [essentially raise the question] at Stage 4 of 5 on the Language-Change Index.

Stage 1: Rejected
Stage 2: Widely Shunned
Stage 3: Widespread but…
Stage 4: Ubiquitous but…
Stage 5: Fully accepted

For comparison, some other frequently-abused words:
nonplussed (for unfazed): Stage 2
irregardless (instead of regardless): Stage 2
unique (for unusual): Stage 3
literally (for figuratively): Stage 3

3 Likes

I will not give in to the improper use of “beg the question” in this lifetime. It’s an important concept that needs its own phrase. (I guess people could say, “assuming what you’re trying to prove,” but that’s an uncommon and fairly clunky phrase. (PVNs use was obv. correct.)

OTOH, it’s useful that “beg the question” is often misused, as it indicates the speaker has at best limited familiarity with philosophy.

3 Likes

If I’m remembering right, “begging the question” refers to when you’re using dumb circular reasoning to make people keep asking you followups over and over again. “Why do you like squirrels?” “Because they’re awesome.” “Okay well why are they awesome?” “Because they’re really cool.” “Ok fine, but why are they…”

Basically any time you’re saying “it _____s the question” and then there’s an actual question afterward, you meant “raises”.

I think it comes up much significantly when someone is making a complex argument and they basically “smuggle” the conclusion into a premise, often by using ambiguous language. It can be a “dumb” error, but it can also be a very deep error.

3 Likes

thread needs less grammer nits

20 Likes

ICWUDT

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/dril/status/778663853534117888

7 Likes

Best dril tweet will always be Betsy Ross Museum imo.

2 Likes

This begs the question, is it acceptable to use it to mean raises the question? It obviously is, seeing how accepted its use has become.

1 Like

I mean language evolves and different meanings become acceptable, irregardless of whether you like it or not. It used to literally melt my brain, but now I could care less.

8 Likes

Last one I promis

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1350738078453755909

16 Likes

4 Likes