Douchebag 2.0—an Elon Musk company

Um google has exactly zero commercial self driving cars.

I don’t think this is true or relevant. I agree with your broader point, but humans do cause lots and lots and lots of accidents. It’s just that when they do so, it’s not news so they don’t become viral.

I was being sarcastic. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

r

Interestingly serious motor vehicle accidents in Canada have been coming down for years and years.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/statistics-data/canadian-motor-vehicle-traffic-collision-statistics-2020

This is the kind of massive public health achievement that nobody actually gives a shit about because it’s boring to talk about good administration.

6 Likes

Nor do I but I obsessively follow the car world and the consensus seems to be Telus has the best right now although a few of the startups are getting very close or even better for non full driving. Full driving telsus seems to have the lead right now.

Dense urban areas it is no worse than humans. Biggest problem I have with Tesla pushing this is that the AI is still terrible in snow and mist. Humans are not great either under those circumstances but I do hope they take over when there is snow or mist.

Is the AI at least being made to pass the same driving test that humans have to pass?

3 Likes

With humans ready to take the wheel right?

I guess a company called Argo is doing it in Miami and Austin.

I said I think it is safer now but would bet it will be in the future.

Well looks like Argo is done:

They’ve already launched their taxi service in a couple of cities with way more to come. They very much went publicity light with their program, but every indication is that their tech is radically better than anyone else’s. That’s because they’re a real company with normal risk metrics, a normal valuation, and more money than god. Musk is only the richest guy on earth on paper if he even still is there. Irl his liquidation value is probably negative today. Google is not like that and their priority is winning the whole space in real life without drawing any negative attention from the government.

You’ll be able to call a driverless taxi with google maps in most of the worlds major cities in a few years, and that taxi will be a partnership between google and the car company. Uber and Lyft are going to zero lol.

2 Likes

Has anyone ever actually been in or seen a car without a driver on the road? I just always assume bullshit with these bleeding edge tech companies, unless and until I see rocksolid evidence to the contrary.

I could see them putting one driverless car on the road on a very well-defined route and having another car trailing it and the media breathlessly reporting that success as the new era of fully self-driving cars.

If only you hadn’t edited out 3/4 of the post. 🤷

btw I just got on post.news which seems like a passable twitter clone, hopefully it gains traction

You gotta wonder why Ford would pull the plug on something that’s getting ready to revolutionize transportation as we know it. Unless they actually looked into it and found out it’s all bullshit

Same. I actually applied to work there too.

It’s not a riddle. One sentence contains the word guess and the other bet.

Got it. Now I’m wondering if every car is kind of like a semi-autonomous drone that has a human back at Cruise headquarters ready to take the virtual wheel, and their communication system to the car shut down.

But even if so, just having cars running in a drone situation is something.

I’ve never seen this study but this sounds 100% correct to me; spending my money to have things fixed so I don’t have to spend hours on it and eating out a little more often definitely bring me more joy than another “thing” I wouldn’t have time to use without those services. (Disclaimer: I bought a new TV and sound bar this year and have been enjoying them quite a bit).

Looks like my hunch about Cruise might be right.

“Well, my question would be, ‘Why?’” said Kyle Vogt, CEO of Cruise, a unit of General Motors (GM.N), when asked if he could see a point where remote human overseers should be removed from operations.

“I can provide my customers peace of mind knowing there is always a human there to help if needed,” Vogt said. “I don’t know why I’d ever want to get rid of that.”

This is the first time Cruise has acknowledged the long-term need for remote human operators.

Like air traffic controllers, such human supervisors could be sitting tens of hundreds of miles away monitoring video feeds from multiple AVs, sometimes with a steering wheel, ready to step in and get stuck robot drivers moving again - AVs invariably stop when they cannot figure out what to do.

I guess this is a workable system eventually if you can scale back the number of humans involved, and somehow do it safely.