Douchebag 2.0—an Elon Musk company

I think Harris went on a public debate tour with Peterson for a little while. He got frustrated with Peterson’s bad faith shtick pretty quickly iirc. That dinner was from the night of that debate I believe.

Twitter employees can see my DMs now? Sheesh I thought they’d be better than that.

Yeah I’m super confused now about what they do and don’t do. I assume they’re not storing DMs in plain text and making them accessible to any employee.

But between that and e2e encryption is a whole spectrum, that I’d like to know where twitter lands on.

That’s the first thing I’ve read that just makes Harris look dumb.

Just need to buy the gold-star advertising package.

? here we don’t make people keep their keys, we just give them a passphrase. you can reset this passphrase, I just did it the other day

Let’s figure this out.

Alice wants to send Ted a DM using e2ee. Ted has to publish a public key to use for encrypting. Assume Alice finds the correct public key. Alice’s client encrypts the message and routes the DM to Ted. Now twitter can’t read the message, even with a gun to the head. They don’t know Ted’s private key.

Now Ted receives the message and wants to read it. On his phone, no problem - presumably Ted created the key pair there. How to get the key to the web browser safely?

Twitter can’t just send the key to the browser because hey, then twitter has the key in the cloud. Too easy to capture and remember. But, the browser could make its own key pair. Then it could send a message to your phone: Hey, share the message private key with me. Twitter on your phone then shows a message: A desktop browser wants to see your DMs. Do you trust it? If you do then your phone sends an e2ee message to the browser with the original key.

This seems not terrible to me? I don’t know the details of browser cryptography but I bet the infrastructure is there.

There is room for improvements, but I think e2ee can work everywhere with one “ok” per device from the first trusted device.

1 Like

Yes, both of them can see your DMs.

1 Like

lol these are dangerous assumptions to make

in one gig i had i discovered completely unencrypted sensitive PII just being blasted all over logs that had been in plaintext for months before anyone noticed, seems like it’s an easy mistake to make

Can you access old messages encrypted with the old phrase? Never actually tried this, but I assume you can’t. If you can then we don’t have the PM encryption I thought we did.

I also don’t know Sam Harris from a hole in the ground.

Twitter’s algorithm is definitely fucked up. Not my main timeline, that still seems to be ok. Replies and quote tweets are definitely not sorted how they used to be, though. Lots of right wing bullshit where I never used to see it.

no you cannot

I get you hate the guy but to say he is meditation grifting is so disingenuous. The guy offers a meditation app and mentions on every episode if you can’t afford to pay for it just email them and they will give you a free subscription no questions asked.

1 Like

Your keys, your PM’s, your hard drive in a garbage dump.

3 Likes

Explains so much

https://twitter.com/joshuaphilll/status/1594891229686366208?s=46&t=kVMnHy2I4-GEUJKUDLS_aA

3 Likes

jfc.

i’m gonna try to not imagine what i’d want to do to this guy if he had power over my life. :facepunch:t3:

Maybe pvn was right in that the algorithm in the replies was hiding political content from the opposite side. Are the right-wingers blue ticks?

From more nefarious impersonation:

Just this week, for example, Vice reported that a fake account used Blue Verified to impersonate FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried. That fake account relied on a deepfake video pretending to be showing Bankman-Fried promising to refund victims of the FTX scandal by enrolling them in a cryptocurrency giveaway that would help them not only regain lost funds, but double their money.

Relying on the video and Twitter’s verified checkmark, the fake account tricked users into visiting the cryptocurrency giveaway and sending tokens to the scammer. In return, Twitter users who were scammed got nothing, Vice reported.

2 Likes

In yesterday’s all-hands meeting, Musk reportedly told staff that “in terms of critical hires, I would say people who are great at writing software are the highest priority.” Another Verge report last week said that “Twitter recruiters have already started reaching out to outside engineers to see if they want to join ‘Twitter 2.0—an Elon company.’”

Musk strikes me as the type of person who thinks he can identify a “great” programmer, but who actually has no clue what constitutes good programming. It’s like a lot of politicians who talk about how they are all for “good” regulations, but then they are simply mad because there are a lot of regulations. Writing a regulation that effectively accomplishes its purpose is usually pretty difficult to do, in large part because the context in which it’s applied matters so much. I know nothing about coding/programming, but I suspect they are very similar in that respect.

1 Like