Douchebag 2.0—an Elon Musk company

That’s a good point but the Saudis are probably more than willing.

I think its between these two views. He wants to shape Twitter like a right wing hellhole where he gets constant praise

I think we should be cautious of thinking the Saudis are playing 4D chess. They are all a bunch of 4th gen failsons who think building a concrete line in the desert is a good use of funds.

They probably invested because they arent smart.

12 Likes

they had a large investment prior. they rolled their public shares into private. though they probably should have taken $54/shr and ran

It’s so obviously not deliberate. He is that dumb. How many people in the world would make the cave pedo tweet? Have you seen his posts before this ever? He is. That. Dumb.

15 Likes

The Saudis seem like the Yahoo! of the 2020s. The dumbest of dumb money.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1593659184175792130

Right on cue

2 Likes

This, but also important to emphasize that code review is not just about the reviewer helping the code author write better code. It’s also about educating the reviewer about how the code base will work after the change. In theory at least, if one person understands the code well enough to write it and someone else understands it well enough to sign off on it, the bus factor is at least 2.

I assume this is basically what Elon is after. There’s zero chance he can offer useful comments on code for anyone above junior level, but he can probably learn a lot from having people explain what they’re doing to him.

1 Like

And why the fuck would a CEO ever need to understand random pieces of code? Does he also think trawling Jira or the like will give him any insight? Will either influence the strategical thinking he so desperately needs to focus on? Of course not.

1 Like

Maybe he made a monkey paw wish to become the best coder in the company?

16 Likes

He’s probably like their skip manager now.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593899029531803649

Elon learns the major architecture pieces.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/black0verflow/status/1593915468619841536?s=46&t=PFxWj2SsYHxRyNmMf_1r7A

11 Likes

Anyone who has not already been run off by all the other insanity is not going to leave because the CEO wants them to explain their work to him. Indeed, regardless of how much you hate him personally, if you ever end up in a situation where you’re working at a huge tech company that is desperately short-staffed at all levels and embroiled in an existential crisis, and your CEO, who also happens to be the richest man in the world and has a long history of making impulsive decisions based on gut feel, wants to talk to you for 30 minutes about what you’re doing, that’s basically a once in a lifetime career opportunity. I mean, sure, there’s a decent chance you end up getting fired on the spot, but there’s also a solid chance you end up getting promoted to a staff role and 10x’ing your compensation.

4 Likes

The reasons Twitter is going to go bankrupt have nothing to do with the quality of the coding though. His narcissistic techbro performative coding bullshit is in no way going to alleviate the debt load nor the catastrophic consequences of his decision to turn the site into a right wing hellhole.

2 Likes

Musk way taller than I thought. Internet puts him around 6’1".

I guess, but only because running off your best talent is a catastrophe on its own. Having blundered into that situation, getting down in the trenches with the few people who are left is very normal crisis management stuff. Also very normal new-CEO stuff.

I would value being in that room over 3 months severance. Somebody had to be the new director, why not me?

3 Likes

The lib soyboy sjw in the mask probably isn’t long for that job.

2 Likes

This is what I’ve been predicting from the start (Elon will fail because Twitter has a product problem and he’s going to try to fix their engineering because he’s not good at product). The fact that this isn’t likely to work is no excuse for not understanding what’s going on here. Getting in a room with a bunch of engineers and learning from them is a big step up from randomly firing people who make mean tweets about you and tweeting crazy stuff about RPCs.

2 Likes