Douchebag 2.0—an Elon Musk company

Yep, Musk would never flagrantly breach a contract when the counterparty had deep enough pockets to hire a top law firm.

2 Likes

I thought Tesla could just focus all their advertising to twitter but their advertising budget seems to be very close to zero. Maybe space x? Oops same problem. Maybe boring company some day?

This is such dogshit journalism. The NYT just takes everything these assholes say and do at face value, assuming good faith at all times when there clearly is none. The guy is trying to get out of paying the bonuses simply because he doesn’t want to pay them, and he’s going to lose. Tell your audience that instead of implying he can just not pay if he feels like not paying and leaving the reader to investigate whether there actually was cause to fire them.

I don’t even know how he can justify for cause firing them within 24 hours of taking over the company.

Twitter isn’t an especially important online ad channel. Actual Twitter has every advantage of incumbency and they don’t make any money. It’s possible that a well-run version of Twitter does make money, but it’s far from a given that anyone can actually build that business if Twitter goes under.

Sure. Maybe Twitter goes broke and nothing really replaces it. But I think it’s highly likely they go broke either way. Maybe it’s worth a few billion a year to Elon, MBS and other assorted pieces of shit to keep up up and running, who knows.

1 Like

And face the 0.0000001% chance of a libel suit? No thank you, the Gray Lady shall maintain its neutral and unbiased façade.

This is actually funny.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1586680643831836677

1 Like

You kidding? Elon loves the attention, good or bad.

this is all correct but kinda misses the point that regardless of how “important” twitter is as an ad channel, Elon NEEDS it to actually make money even if it doesn’t move up in the clout rankings. He’s taken on debt to finance the acquisition and he needs revenue to feed that monkey. Acting like an unhinged nutjob isn’t going to assure advertisers that it’s a good place to run ads.

If only there were a few experts on running a social media platform with nothing to do right now.

2 Likes

I looked into Mastodon and yeah it’s going to need a bit of work before it becomes a serious alternative to Twitter.

1 Like

The jagoffs at Truth appear to have built a Twitter duplicate in pretty short order.

“Richest man in the world,” to whom we’ve entrusted full self driving EVs, space travel, batteries, public transit, and internet, is putting all that on the back burner in order to be Dana White for the Saudis’s 4chan-ification of Twitter. That really says it all about “the market” and how real any of those things ever were.

11 Likes

That’s why I don’t get how twitter has thousands of engineers to fire. It defies comprehension.

I’m sure it’s a matter of 1) scale, and 2) behind-the-scenes stuff that isn’t related to core functionality: security, redundancy, R&D, sales, etc.

But it’s at least possible to do what Truth is doing without thousands of people, we know that much.

1 Like

" * Use of the N-word on Twitter surged nearly 500% after Musk’s acquisition, per The Washington Post."

1 Like

I’m relieved he went full mask off on day 1.

1 Like

Lebron silent on Kyrie though.

1 Like

WT Social seems like a better Twitter alternative than Mastodon.