Donald J Trump: Rip Van Winkle edition

https://twitter.com/TrumpDailyPosts/status/1778150190454874320?t=6sjvbddwRu6h-wIbRm4UBQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1777763434727186655?t=IQZB_15pfaSsoNFjciy3Ug&s=19

I heard a disgustingly deferential interview with Nancy Mace on NPR yesterday. My guess is Trump and Elon bashing them will only make them grovel harder.

I think Trump must be talking about this. Elon retweeted a post referring to it.

In another lifetime, Fresh Air was an excellent listen.

Still is, occasionally.

We are hating on NPR now!?

Republicans have hated it for years but Trump is just now aware of it because they were mean to him.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/3950550-the-truth-about-nprs-funding-and-its-possible-future/amp/

I mean “we” are hating on it?

Poor vettting or all the best people?

https://twitter.com/ammarmufasa/status/1778177418001289357

I didn’t think that article was hard on Trump at all. I also think they aren’t necessarily losing their Republicans audience, but that the Overton window has shifted so greatly on both sides that less and less people want to identify as one. Decent people who leaned right and called themselves Republican don’t want any part of the Trump maga cult

I think the same is true on the left btw who hold some views which are deemed radical by a large percentage of their party. The difference is, those who are merely center left aren’t willing to forsake the name Democrat.

I include myself in the latter group. While I consider myself progressive, I have on more than one occasion brought up views contrary to progressive talking points (such as the Russia collision hoax, the lab leak theory, how Fauci lied, etc.) and was trashed by fellow progressives. We live in an incredibly divisive political climate

I am not sure if anyone here hates on NPR and PBS, but I know a lot of people at super-lefty* blogs etc. like to hate on NPR, PBS, NYT, WaPo, etc. There’s even an acronym: FTFNYT. The common complaint seems to be:

Too much fake “balance”: Why did you even let the Republican talking head on the show/interview in the first place, when all they do is spout lies and bullshit? Or why did you not call them on their bullshit during the interview? Or why did you frame the article this way, instead of that way?

Of course a lot of this depends on the particular interviewer or author of the piece.

My question for those people who criticize the NYT WaPo NPR is: what newspaper (or radio show etc.) do you think does it the “right” way? If there are no good alternatives you can point to, that might be some evidence that it’s harder than you think.

I suspect it is hard to run a newspaper, and have it be profitable, without having “balance” turds from the GOP on. Most of the country is pro-capitalism and in the squishy middle, so that’s where the papers and tv shows have to go. I know I wouldn’t want to run a newspaper/tv show. My inclination would be to not have any interviews at all with these GOP clowns, but that’s not practical.

(*) I just picked this term “super-lefty” as a short-hand, no idea what the proper term is.

2 Likes

They aren’t a liberal think tank

Still made about that TAL episode sucking Nancy devos and her family off

1 Like

As long as NPR keeps putting out Tiny Desk Concerts, it’s cool with me.

8 Likes

Guardian maybe?

1 Like

“[His] future with the campaign has not been determined.”

Promotion? :vince2:

4 Likes

In most cases there’s no point to taking what Trump says at face value. Here, it’s an opportunity for him to kick and scream and to coordinate with MAGA, Elon, RFK, Putin and others running interference for him. The author says that the Russia Russia Russia, Hunter laptop, and lab leak issues have been settled in a way that makes NPR look bad. I say no, no, and it’s a stretch but maaaybe.

NPR is disappointing in a lot of ways, it’s still miles better than, say, the NYT or other serious person news outlets.

I always recommend the guardian when this question comes up. Only news org ive ever given money to. Apparently the FT is quite good ironically. Rich people value actual news maybe?

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve never looked at the FT. I figured it would be Newsmax to the WSJ’s Fox.

I have one recent experience with a FT article about a topic I know quite a bit about and found it to be no better than any other media. Sensationalist, etc

Unbelievable lack of self-awareness. Jk, totally in character.

https://x.com/TrumpDailyPosts/status/1778453323991134445

… Impeachment, and disrespecting her, all because they want her to act like the dishonest, politically biased, and conflicted Judges in New York, and not like the fair and impartial Judge that she is. These Persecutors are using Third World tactics in a corrupt ploy to “play the ref.” However, no matter how hard he tries, Deranged Jack Smith will never be Coach Bobby Knight, a Basketball Legend for all time, who led the last undefeated team in College Basketball. Coach Knight would always “play the refs,” but not to change the last call, to change the next one….

3 Likes