Donald J Trump: Rip Van Winkle edition

Writing a book about how he murdered them also was a PR misstep imo.

9 Likes

3 Likes

That’s still a crazy disparity, but there’s some deeeep fucking mistrust of the justice system going on among the black population that I can’t really blame em for.

I wonder if the numbers have continued to get closer.

So you think shooting someone on 5th ave won’t do it, but declaring bankruptcy will?

Not saying you’re wrong, but jfc wtf does that say about his fan base

It takes time for the full opinion to change, but it started changing around the time of the bankruptcy and the book surely didn’t help, even though it was obscure.

For the guy I’m talking about, this opinion stayed strong for 10 years after the crimes, but by 20 years later, it was almost completely flipped. In between those 10 and 20 years, he went bankrupt (declared bankruptcy right after a hung jury in a civil trial). People believed he was being maliciously prosecuted when he was arrested for a second crime not terribly long after he got off from his first one. Now no one really knows who he is in any great way, but he’s one of three original money backers of an organization that completely changed right wing politics and is still highly influential today. Without his money, the other two wouldn’t have been in, and if he’d gone to jail in either crime, this world would look very different today. When I’m telling you this guy has a massive influence on modern politics, I’m not saying it flippantly.

I think over time OJ is also just less remembered for being charismatic famous celebrity athlete.

I would guess that those numbers would continue to go up but on the otherhand these days there certainly is a lot of people who love to believe conspiracy theories so who knows.

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying.

It’s probably a lot closer now, and would be interesting to see what it would look like in 2024, since 2015 is well before the resurgence of stories that came out on TV (documentaries, People v. O.J.) that probably made people surprised he got away with it.

I think the answer to a question like this is about more than simply what does each person asked believe. I think it is similar to the answer you get when asking Republicans about whether Biden stole the election. Do 70% of Republicans really truly believe it, or is it a way of signaling your antipathy and mistrust of the other side?

2 Likes

I remember being home in L.A. the day it was reported his ex-wife was murdered and thinking how sad that was for O.J. Then I remember him being on the news in handcuffs in his backyard while they searched his place the next day and thought ‘wtf’. Then I remember being glued to the TV during the chase as everyone (who wasn’t in the streets in L.A. cheering it on) was and thinking, yeah, he probably did it. I still don’t know how they managed to get out of that situation without him killing himself, so it was a very uncomfortable watch.

2 Likes

It also didn’t help that Mark Furman (and probably most of the LAPD) was a straight up racist. Doesn’t mean racists can’t catch black criminals, but I get the skepticism.

FYI if you are going to rely on anecdotal evidence for your claims it helps to reveal the anecdote.

1 Like

What do you need revealed?

I need nothing, but I am advising that if you are using a famous example to forward your argument that you identify the famous case. Are you worried that we will make a documentary before you?

I will go ahead and guess Keating, but I had no idea that he was all that famous or well liked.

As I think someone else noted earlier, if he declares bankruptcy, his cult will say he’s the richest person in the world and the bankruptcy was a savvy strategic move to stave off the witch hunt.

1 Like

I didn’t say the name because I didn’t know if there would be interest. It’s Cullen Davis and the group he co-founded with his money is the Council for National Policy. At first, I thought its biggest success was making Trump president (fitting), but it turns out its biggest legacy is the federal court judges and current Supreme Court. Before this group was known, it was responsible for activating religious right voters, taking them from being the least reliable voting bloc to the most reliable over a long period of time starting in 1980.

Mike Johnson is a member of this group but it’s not publicly stated by him or others. That’s probably the real reason he rose and has been able to stay, so far.

1 Like

If you say so, but watch what happens if he declares bankruptcy (again, I give a very low chance of this happening). A guy of his ‘means’ should easily be able to come up with the money and still never run out of money. People are more blinded by money than power because they can’t conceive what wealth of that nature means.

Not familiar with that case, excepting what I just read on Wikipedia. Agree that he would have a hard time getting elected president and will make a more popular documentary subject than Keating.

That story was O.J. before O.J. times 10 in an era where TV wasn’t in the courtroom and the internet didn’t exist. Any wikipedia entries on it are a joke when trying to describe it and the story’s never been told properly in the visual medium because it was too vast for what could be done on TV in the past. Nearly 20 years after the events happened almost 1/3 of the TVs in the country tuned into the first night of an ABC miniseries loosely based on one of the books about the story.

If it wasn’t for his bankruptcy that coincidentally happened at the beginning of Trump’s bankruptcies in 1987, he quite possibly could have been president in the right era even though he had close to zero charisma. His arc is very similar to Trump’s and in an interview that was part of a scandal that came out about the first trial nearly 25 years later, he complained that if their company had been allowed to do a similar bankruptcy restructuring as Trump’s that it would have been alive and well in 2000 when the interview was done. If Trump’s had gone like theirs, you never would have heard from Trump again.

Trump is basically the second coming of this guy of a guy who never thought he could get touched and continued going on and on in the face of practically unwinnable odds. Without his wife lying for him on the stand and whatever agreements they made to each other after the last miracle criminal acquittal, he might have committed more crimes since he knew he’d get away with them.

He did all kinds of shady stuff during his bankruptcy that got their bankruptcy protections removed, so he never stayed above board. Even him settling one of the civil suits against him wasn’t enough to majorly turn the tide (admitted no fault but paid one of his victims a shady settlement that wasn’t worth what it was claimed). They all ran away when he became the equivalent of being poor living in a house paid for by a trust with some kind of allowance until he dies.

If you say so, but watch what happens if he declares bankruptcy (again, I give a very low chance of this happening). A guy of his ‘means’ should easily be able to come up with the money and still never run out of money. People are more blinded by money than power because they can’t conceive what wealth of that nature means.

He is a serial liar and stupid. He hasn’t got the money. (Unless he has then won’t I look stupid.)