Donald J Trump: Rip Van Winkle edition

The evidence is he lost 2020.

1 Like

In quiet the landslide too. :roll_eyes:

What percentage of indicted former presidents have gone to jail? The mere fact that Trump has been indicted when others havenā€™t is meaningful. Trump has set an unprecedented level of criminality as a president, exceeding Nixon and certainly far exceeding those presidents who some decry as unindicted war criminals.

We are in uncharted territory. I suspect some MAGA Republicans will protest outside of acceptable boundaries if he is convicted. I think those in the center-left should strongly consider escalating protests beyond anything that has been done over the past few decades if he isnā€™t.

2 Likes

Seriously. Not just crimes, he must have pissed off just about everybody at DOJ. They will want to nail this guy.

Youā€™re teaching page 1 statistical modeling to someone either not interested or incapable of understanding it

1 Like

Not really. Typically you can only appeal a final judgment/order of the district court (i.e. one that disposes of the case - or at least some of the case). You can request interlocutory appeals, but those typically require the district court to certify the appeal (which is rare).

If you want to get an interlocutory appeal without the district judgeā€™s permission, the standard is very high - IIRC it has to be a decision where unless itā€™s immediately appealed, the decision would be effectively unreviewable and the matter being appealed is collateral to the merits of the actual case. The standard is so high to prevent exactly what you are suggesting. So unless somehow courts go super rogue on this and just completely ignore all prior-precedent, he canā€™t use interlocutory appeals to delay trial.

3 Likes

For once I like that lawyers love to bill as much as they can. Trump might want to delay all these trials as much as possible but it is going to either run his campaign out of money or cost him some serious personal money.

I would not be at all surprised if all these cases psychologically grind Trump down in a way that he has never been ground down before.

I donā€™t have much experience with interlocutory appeals, but I suspect that they will file a number of them. I know some require ā€œpermissionā€ but a smart and experienced lawyers (not sure there will be any involved for Trump) should be able to tee up some issues for appeal and seek writs if the district court judge does not certify the issues.

Hereā€™s from some ABA standards regarding interlocutory criminal appeals. Plenty of room to maneuver.

Standard 21-1.3. Limitations on defendantsā€™ appeals; final judgments and interlocutory appeals

(a) A defendant should have the right to appeal from any final judgment of a trial court adverse to the defendant, including:

(i) a conviction followed by a sentence of probation;

(ii) a conviction followed by a sentence suspended as to imposition or execution; or

(iii) a conviction based upon a plea of guilty or nolo contendere.

(b) In general, a defendant should not be permitted to take an appeal until a final judgment adverse to the defendant has been entered in the trial court. Interlocutory review, in the discretion of the appellate court, should be available:

(i) to review trial court decisions denying claims of procedural rights that cannot be vindicated by appeals from final judgments. Included among such claimed rights are double jeopardy and bail pending trial;

(ii) to review trial court decisions denying claims of procedural rights that concern the competence of the trial court. Included among such claimed rights are lack of jurisdiction, improper place of trial, and vitiating flaws in the selection process for the petit jury or the grand jury; and

(iii) to review trial court decisions on issues certified by the trial courts for this purpose.

All interlocutory appeals should be permitted only by leave of the appellate court. [Donā€™t know if lack of leave is appealable en banc or to the Supreme Court.]

Another way to look at this is that Trump was at least implicitly inspired by Bushā€™s successful effort in 2000 to overturn the FL election, and this is the system clearly indicating where lines exist. Itā€™s no coincidence that that 3 of the members of the Supreme Court demonstrated their loyalty by working on behalf of Bush, and there are a lot of informed people who said to themselves ā€œnever againā€.

Trump and his lackeys try to make a stink about how his supporters will rise up on his behalf. Oh, please. They are cowards who know he lost. You can read their sheepish anonymous arguments online today. On the other hand, I can guarantee that Trump would not have been safe anywhere in America if he had succeeded in his plan to disrupt Bidenā€™s election.

What happens if Trump is so stressed out that he has a fatal heart attack and the MAGA folk embrace all sorts of conspiracy theories about how he was murdered by the government and treat him as a martyr?

nothing

2 Likes

If heā€™s offered a plea to avoid prison, I think he takes it.

Remember the perjury trap? Also, heā€™s had like 20 bankruptcies. He can spin the plea as a ā€œlegal reorganizationā€ without admitting fault.

1 Like

Quote to book at 20 : 1.

Offering up to $1,000 to your $20,000.

3 Likes

Lol

1 Like

Lol

1 Like

Remind me: didnā€™t Trump slink out of office when he lost? Ah well nevertheless!

Itā€™s pointing straight up

Cactus. Sorry man. You were right. We were wrong

Even if he somehow wins all 4 trials

Feels good today.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t go that far lol. But yeah. Definitely feels good and like justice is finally moving in the right direction

I mean, youā€™d think so. Heā€™s so far shown willingness to settle civil cases for the sake of self preservation. But I also agree with others that the man is incapable of admitting fault or accepting any blame whatsoever. If he can plea without having to do so, I can see him taking a deal. The question is, with him being so undeniably screwed would any of these prosecutors offer or accept such a plea?