Donald J Trump: Rip Van Winkle edition

It’s genuinely hilarious how fucked his lackeys, who he wouldn’t piss on if they were on fire, are.

5 Likes

Weren’t you among those who felt the same way about him ever facing a single charge?

This is some seriously faulty sampling bias

5% and 0%?! This sounds like someone who would surely lay some odds. Lmk

1 Like

We are still drawing live to a Ginni Thomas indictment LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2 Likes

Name a president who has went to jail? Trump has been regularly breaking the law for 70 years. He has never faced any consequences.

My sample size is fine. It’s the people who think he will this time who have sample size issues.

There is almost 0% chance we see a trial prior to the election. There are tons of ways to delay trial and they no doubt will be heavily used by whoever Trump’s lawyers are. So there is no point trying to figure out if sentencing happens before or after appeals(before in the vast majority of cases). Everything is going to happen post election unless he pleas.

That being said he is in legitimate trouble here in an unfavorable jurisdiction with an unfavorable judge and a prosecutor who seems to know what he is doing. So there might be consequences here eventually.

The way that Stalin is polling in Russia these days is not great for your claim here. There are no guarantees of fair tellings of history ever again if the right Republicans get into power

Yes. Appeals begin after sentencing. It’s very up in the air whether Trump would be taken into custody upon conviction. It’s a subjective judgment by the judge based on the likely sentence, risk of flight or violating terms of release on bail and the likelihood of winning on appeal.

1 Like

Trump also can appeal whatever happens(assuming a negative outcome) all the way to the SC which isn’t exactly the most ethical court of all time.

The SCOTUS has consistently told Trump to fuck off with his election denying

1 Like

Sure but you don’t think they could find some technicality to keep a former POTUS from dying in literal prison?

Kim Jung Il still polling great in North Korea. Reality is not impossible to comprehend.

Something else to consider. This is a battle to the death for Jack Smith and team. They cannot, at least in their minds, afford to lose this case. This is the biggest case they will ever have.

1 Like

There will be appeals before any trial happens, which will likely all be expedited. There are going to funky, novel procedural issues on the regular. The judge is experienced and she will seek to manage attempts to delay to the fullest extent of her power.

And one potential reason why is interesting. I read somewhere that if Trump were to succeed in his goal of becoming a dictator, SCOTUS effectively loses its power. After all, no need for a SCOTUS under a dictatorship

1 Like

Has this judge handled any of the J6 cases so far?

I think this is definitely the case. That being said the Trump team can endlessly appeal all of the procedural/evidentiary issues all the way up the chain. She won’t have any control over that. Running 15 months off the clock here should be no problem. And really it’s not even that. I can’t see them having a trial immediately preceeding the election or something.

Yes and she has been one of the harshest sentencers. She is about as good of a draw as we could have hoped for.

5 Likes

Your claim also included any electoral consequences.

If people start arguing this SCOTUS would find trump should serve prison time then I guess we are done here as we’ve left all vestiges of reality.

What evidence is there of electoral consequences. He is crushing all primary polls and in a dead heat against Biden in hypothetical 2024 race.