Dog Attack Advice

I think about two things with this.

One is that dogs are born feeling compelled to do dog things, but they need someone to show them appropriate places and situations to engage those parts of themselves. This generally comes from a pack, which can mean you + any other well-behaved pets. This is one excellent reason to socialize our pets at the dog park or with a friend’s pet. They learn a lot from each other, and they get to be DOGS with each other in a way a human never can.

Two is that a lot of disastrous dog behaviors disappear if we just do the above and give them appropriate situations to fulfill their needs as dogs. Dogs are like people in that way. If we are not in constant yearning for just a little more, if we find activities that leave us feeling fulfilled at the end instead of hungrier than when we started, other parts of our lives become a lot easier to shift into place.

My friend had a dog that needed a lot of activity and stimulation. At first, the dog tore up his apartment, and he responded with behavior training. Don’t do this, only chew this. Nothing helped. But that was because his dog understood the situation and knew what to do, but they had this insatiable energy and no healthy way to process it, so they fidgeted and chewed on shit all day.

So instead of spending hours stressing over her inside behavior, he dedicates two hours a day to walking her in a field off leash. He lets her hunt bunnies. Once for an hour in the morning, again at night. It’s made her a happy, fulfilled dog. The apartment is safe.

Perhaps a note on the door saying can we talk? With your # below. So they can choose to contact you. Gives them a sense of control.

I spoke with the husband last night and gave him my number. Told him I would do whatever it takes to pay the medical bills and to please save the dog.

He said he isn’t a dog person but his wife is. My read is that the dog is elderly and he thought the injury might be severe enough to not be worth treating.

For the record she has never been aggressive towards humans unless she is in berserker mode towards other dogs and you attempt to physically restrain her. Something obviously happened to her in the past. Guy who gave her to me found her wandering out in Bumfuck.

1 Like

I’m getting ready to go over there I’m just trying to mentally prep. Trying to avoid a breakdown right in front of them.

3 Likes

That’s a sad situation. I’m sorry.

Well they have your number now. Maybe they just need a moment to process and reflect. I hope you’re all able to make peace.

It’s been aggressive against other animals for three years and the owner has procrastinated getting it help?

No sympathy for the anxiety of the owner here, person is not responsible enough to own a pet and should give the dog to someone who can bare minimum keep it from hurting other animals and potentially humans

I know the right thing is to go over there. I’m just trying to decide if I think putting my own dog down is the ethical thing to do if they’re dog has passed. Feels like I need to determine that before I do.

1 Like

There is no reason to put your dog down. None. Eye for an eye is biblical nonsense. Assuming you are willing to do the work to help the dog then that is the obvious choice.

Im right here in the thead so feel free to address me directly.

No. That’s stupid. It’s like giving someone the death penalty for involuntary manslaughter.

I completely agree was just sharing all the thoughts running through my head. Youre talking to someone who believes in stopping for squirrels regardless of accident potential.

Even though Watevs is being a bitch by referring to a 3rd person who is standing right in front of him, he is at least partially right.

1 Like

Yeah, I just mentioned that to make my self feel better. I would sell everything I have and live on the lam before I would give her up. I’m already making plans to leave the neighborhood. Just balancing that with whatever bill might be due. My raw estimate at leg surgery would be ~6K. I can’t pay that out of pocket immediately.

You are emotional right now which is totally understandable. I’m not sure I wouldn’t lose everything for my dog! However. Be careful offering up literally anything as it could get really expensive. Make sure you have some control on how much is spent. I know it sounds harsh but you can’t let your current emotional state lead you to hurt your future if you incur an insurmountable debt.

1 Like

To me the biggest issue is if you’re willing to put in the time and expense to get your dog trained so he’s no longer going to reflexively attack other animals.

Regardless of how well you can secure your pet in your home, I would not feel comfortable having what is currently essentially an uncontrollable animal.

1 Like

It’s the right thing to do. Full stop.

I have failed her and society in this regard no doubt. Weed abuse had alot to do with it. (not blaming weed) Ive been sober for 2 months and it was a massive challenge not to pick up last night but I didn’t.

This is probably gonna be a blessing in disguise but the neighbors dog getting hurt is whats killing me. Thanks for all the advice guys. I’m clearly not the human being I thought i was but forward is the only direction.

3 Likes

You are allowed to make mistakes, Funcrusher. Even awful ones. We all do at some point.

You are right. Today is a new day. You can learn from what happened and make new choices.

Good to see that chatting it out ITT looks to be helping you :+1:

1 Like

Show contrition and work on your dog and your neighbors will forgive you and if they won’t or can’t that’s on them. Lot’s of good advice given so far, but getting your dog to a good trainer who can introduce her to a proper pack might help set her straight.

I have a big dangerous dog so I understand the responsibility we have. Some dogs, even after training, are just not capable of hanging out with other dogs. If the worst case is that you lose a little cash, he becomes a lone wolf, and you learn a lesson about closing your front door you’ll be fine.

1 Like

People would freak out and cross the street or turn around and run away when I walked my Belgian shepherd. She was the sweetest dog ever. Every pitty I have met had also been super sweet, same thing with dobies and rotties.

1 Like